Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Same Company Different Locations?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Same Company Different Locations?

How does everyone handle different locations but the same company? I am a new user it's now obvious to me how to handle that and the demos don't really touch on it.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JETYD
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Same Company Different Locations?

Hello JETYD,

First let me say that I am not a technician but a user.

ACT 2009 has somethig called Companies.  I found it a little difficult to understand, but let me share how I am using them.

First, you create a company either from an exisiting contact or directly in the Companies area.

Second, there is no parent-child relationship.  All contacts are independent.  To make it work, you ... repeat YOU ... have to take charge of how you name the company field.  For example, say you have a customer Microsoft.  Well, Microsoft has offices all over the country.  So as you create the branch offices or "divisions" as it is called in ACT, you would make sure the name would still start with Microsoft followed by how you want to identify the branch. 

Headquarters:  Microsoft

Branch:  Microsoft - Atlanta

Branch:  Microsoft - Tampa

Remember, though, that as you create these you are not creating a relational naming structure such that branches or divisions will roll up to the headquarters.  Now if you follow this naming convention, though, you will be able to search on all Microsoft or Microsoft in Tampa.  Of course you can do the same thing by keeping all records as "Microsoft" and do searches by searching on Microsoft and city name, but that is just another search criteria that would have to be entered.

Since I don't send snail mail to any extent, using the company name field is more useful for organizing company and contacts than having it gramatically correct.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth and I generally get change.  Hope this thought process helps or gives you an idea of your own.

ACT is a good program and one of the few remaining to support the single user.  Its integration with Outlook is better than others I've used, so I think you will like it.  Like anything else, it will serve you as long as you take the time to learn how to use the program. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

View solution in original post

All Replies

You didn't say which version of ACT you're using, however, typically the database is set up based on the CONTACT, not on the company name.  I have the same situation where I may have 4-5 contacts set up for the same location, and many of my customers have multiple locations.  So there may be dozens of contact records for the same company, but each with it's own unique contact name.

Wes

I am using ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367. I am new to ACT please bear with me. Well the company automatically populates fields like address and such. I really do not see how different locations of the same company are dealt with. There is no locations field or anything like that. I am curious to know how other users deal with this.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JETYD
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Hello JETYD,

First let me say that I am not a technician but a user.

ACT 2009 has somethig called Companies.  I found it a little difficult to understand, but let me share how I am using them.

First, you create a company either from an exisiting contact or directly in the Companies area.

Second, there is no parent-child relationship.  All contacts are independent.  To make it work, you ... repeat YOU ... have to take charge of how you name the company field.  For example, say you have a customer Microsoft.  Well, Microsoft has offices all over the country.  So as you create the branch offices or "divisions" as it is called in ACT, you would make sure the name would still start with Microsoft followed by how you want to identify the branch. 

Headquarters:  Microsoft

Branch:  Microsoft - Atlanta

Branch:  Microsoft - Tampa

Remember, though, that as you create these you are not creating a relational naming structure such that branches or divisions will roll up to the headquarters.  Now if you follow this naming convention, though, you will be able to search on all Microsoft or Microsoft in Tampa.  Of course you can do the same thing by keeping all records as "Microsoft" and do searches by searching on Microsoft and city name, but that is just another search criteria that would have to be entered.

Since I don't send snail mail to any extent, using the company name field is more useful for organizing company and contacts than having it gramatically correct.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth and I generally get change.  Hope this thought process helps or gives you an idea of your own.

ACT is a good program and one of the few remaining to support the single user.  Its integration with Outlook is better than others I've used, so I think you will like it.  Like anything else, it will serve you as long as you take the time to learn how to use the program. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Do you have an opinion on a way to sort locations by company and still keep the names correct?  I have established the format described, but I need to do snail mailings.  As you have pointed out this is a problem in the autoformat of my cover letters.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

I have the same issue as Andrew. We were going to use the following naming protocol for companies with multiple locations:

Company: Associated Bank

Division 1: Associated Bank (Milwaukee)

Division 2: Associated Bank (Chicago) 

However, we are concerned that if we have to do a mailing that "Associated Bank (Milwaukee)" or "Associated Bank (Chicago)" will show up in the address field and this could cause a lot of extra work.

Does anyone have an alternative way to deal with companies with multiple locations?

Thanks, Michelle

Did anyone figure this out?

I am having the same problem as Michelle.

Thank you,

Joe