Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Salutations in ACT!?

Copper Contributor

Salutations in ACT!?

The ACT! "salutation" field gets autopopulated with the first name.

I usually think of the salutation as being the prefix, e.g. Dr. Professor, Mr, Mrs., Ms. etc - see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salutation for example.

Since ACT! does not split out first and surames into different fields and uses the first name as salutation, how do you best handle the prefixes (Mr., Mrs., etc) in ACT!?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Salutations in ACT!?

What version of ACT! are you using? ACT! 2005 and later parses the contact field into Prefix, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name and suffix fields. These are system fields that you can add to the layout but you can't enter data directly into the fields. The salutation field also has several fill options and you can select the one that you prefer.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

I'm using the latest (2009) version.

So just to clarify, if I type in say "Professor Joe Andrew Blogs Junior" in the contact field, it would figure out to parse it so the prefix is Professor, the suffix is Junior, the first name is Joe, the surname is Blogs, and the middle name is Andrew - but it would by default take the salutation to be "Joe"?

And I can turn on these prefix and suffix fields in the contact display, but I can't edit them? 

Thanks again

Yes, provided you have the needed entries in the table of prefixes and suffixes. If it can't successfully parse the contact field it will prompt for how you want to have it parsed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Think of the salutation as what you'd put after "Dear" when righting a letter
Tuned Listener

Maybe what would work best for you is to set the Salutation to not fill in when you enter the client name. Then you can set the Salutation to be whatever you would like for it to be. You have several other options as well under Tools, Preferences, Names and then Salutation Preferences.