Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage Mobile Live for Act Multiple Instances

Copper Super Contributor

Sage Mobile Live for Act Multiple Instances

I installed the Mobile Live update so that it is now called Sage Mobile Live.  So when I restart my computer, now I get a msssage saying that an "instance" of Mobile Live iis already running and should i use the new or existing version.  I said to use the running instance, but now the product is not running.  How to I stop that message and get it working properly?  (This adds to the problems I have already had in doing what should have been a simple upgrade.)

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Sage Mobile Live for Act Multiple Instances

Supplementing the previous post: the messages says "An instance of Sage Mobile for Act! Client is already running.  Press Yes to close the running instance.  Press No to exit and leave the current instance running."  If I press "no", the startup process concludes with Sage Mobile Act not running.  If I press "yes", the product does start and the startup process concludes with Sage Mobile Act running.  Pc Mag's Startup Cop indicates that Sage Mobile Live is  not one of the programs scheduled to start when the computer starts up.

Copper Super Contributor

Further update, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling. That didn't help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello rconant,

Here are a couple of things you can check:

- In Add/Remove Programs or Programs & Features, do you see both ACT! Mobile Live and Sage Mobile for ACT!? If so, uninstall both.

- After you uninstall, go to the directory C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows and delete any files that start with "Mobility" (if present)

- You can also go through the steps in KB Article 26702 to ensure the old AML client has been removed.

You can then reinstall the updated Sage Mobile for ACT! client from the download in the portal.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

I finally resolved the problem.  First, I tried to uninstall the newly installed Sage Act for Mobile using the Control Panel's remove programs feature.  That uninstall failed because of an error in the Sage uninstall routine.  I then decided to reinstall and try to uninstall again.  But when I started to reinstall, it instead began to uninstall.  This time the uninstall worked.  Then I followed the instructions in the knowledgebase article on how to manually uninstall Act Mobile.  But all of the unstall steps had already been taken.  I then reinstalled the new Sage for Act Mobile.  Lastly, I used Startup CopL and discovered that now (not before) there were two registry entries for starting up Sage Moblle Live.

So let's count the errors in Act's programming regarding this rather routine update.

(1) My build of Act Mobile Live failed to indicate that an update was necessary.

(2) Apparently, the new Sage for Act Mobile installation routine failed to uninstall correctly the original build

(3) The uninstall routine for the new Sage ror Act did not work correctly.

(4) The new Sage ofr Act Mobile installl routine installed duplicate startup instructions in the registry.

Some questions:

Are errors in routine updates common in the field?  No, they exceedingly rare.

How many hours did it take to straighten out all these errors by Sage?  Many, of course.

Is this the first time long-time users have run across Sage programming errors?  Lord, No,  Most long-term users experience them with some frequency and this frequency is not declining, witness the dozens of entries in this forum each day mostly addressing some sort of Sage technical error.

Oh, and I had trouble posting this message because of a problem with the Forum.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You might try the trial of Handheld Contact, which has had 10 years to resolve issues that Sage are at now