Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage Act Pro 2013 crashing

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Sage Act Pro 2013 crashing

Hi

My Act Pro 2013, Version 15.1.108.0 recently starting acting up. I'm using Windows 7 and it's been running fine now for a couple of years. I'm staying current on windows, adobe and java updates.

The past few days Act has been very slow to start up after logging on, today the system crashed when I attempted to open a document, from the document tab. It's a pdf file located on my hard drive.

Any ideas of what might be going on?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack56
‎02-11-2016 04:27 PM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Sage Act Pro 2013 crashing

It is a .NET update issue.  If .NET isn't updated then you won't have the issue.  If it is updated you will have the issue.  You will need to go back to .NET 4.5.2 in order to resolve the problem.  I believe that Microsoft dropped a routine or changed a routine that is used in Act! from .NET.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies

Same issue here but all I do is click on the documents tab. If there are no docs listed, then no error. Otherwise I get this from Logviewer:

Error Message: Act.Shared.Images.ImageManager::GeFileExtractedIcon - Error System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at Act.Shared.Images.ImageManager.AddIconToCache(String key, Icon image)
at Act.Shared.Images.ImageManager.GeFileExtractedIcon(String filePath, Boolean largeImage).

and the program crashes.

Since the Act.Shared.Images.dll is the same on all other machines and I just did a complete reinstall, I see no point in copying the dll from another computer. There doesn't seem to be any help listed anywhere. MS did updates last night but no one else is having trouble, yet.

Also getting the following errors:

Error Message: ConnectedServicesSettings : Error retrieving settings from http://sageact.sageconnectedservices.com/settings/14/ConnectedServicesSettings.en-US.xml plus 2 others similar

I have renamed the plugin dlls referring to the sage marketing and still it's trying to connect for some reason.

John

Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack56
‎02-11-2016 04:27 PM
Silver Super Contributor

It is a .NET update issue.  If .NET isn't updated then you won't have the issue.  If it is updated you will have the issue.  You will need to go back to .NET 4.5.2 in order to resolve the problem.  I believe that Microsoft dropped a routine or changed a routine that is used in Act! from .NET.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I have version 4.6.01 installed on my machine. Determined by looking in the registry.

Now I have a new windows update. That provides security updates for both versions 3.5.1. and 4.6.1...I haven't tried it yet.

I want to note this is a very recent issue....it's been working fine for years. I don't see any updated to version 4.6.1 in my windows update history.

Silver Super Contributor

I think 4.6.1 was changed to a recommended update recently that pushed it out to everyone.  If you check your update history in add/remove programs you should be able to tell when it was installed.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Thank you! Thank you! That did the trick. I don't have time to rant against MS because I used all that time trying to find a solution this morning. Smiley Happy

John

I am having similar issues with ACT. I think it may be related to some Windows updates that came out Feb 9/10th

When I uninstalled 4.6.01 and installed 4.5.2 it completely broke ACT. Now when I restart I get a message Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "".
Silver Super Contributor

That issue can usually be solved by this technique from a different thread.

• Open your Windows Task Manager, and under the Processes tab, end process for "Act.Outlook.Service.exe"
  •  Click on your Windows Start button. Type in the following command: %appdata% in the Search box in the lower left of the start menu.
  • This will open the Application Data folder. In this folder open the ACT folder.
  • In this folder you should see one or more folders named Act for Windows (version#), where "version#" is the current (or previous) versions of ACT! installed on this machine.
  • Rename this folder to "Act for WindowsOLD" (rename all if more than one)
  • Reboot your machine
  • Open ACT! and test

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

That resolved it the issue but needed a little adjustment:

Click on your Windows Start button. Type in the following command: %appdata% in the Search box in the lower left of the start menu.

• This will open the Application Data folder. In this folder open the ACT folder.
  • In this folder you should see one or more folders named Act for Windows (version#), where "version#" is the current (or previous) versions of ACT! installed on this machine.

That did not find anything. Instead I used Windows search function to search for "Act for Windows" and that located 3 folders in various locations.

Then the rest of the instructions worked. Thanks!

<It would be great if somebody could update this thread once it is safe to update the Microsoft.net file>