Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT Pro 2013

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Sage ACT Pro 2013

I have purchased Sage Act Pro 2013 and have been having the same issue since I purchased it. My 30 days of free support is finished and I seem to be running into the same problem over and over so I am coming here for help. I get an error message when I try to create, unpack, open, and even restore a database. It has something to do with the SQL server and not liking the name of my PC. The techs have had to create an Administrator account to install and do some other things with the SQL server so that it would work under my current PC User. Any advice on how to fix this problem with the SQL Server not installing properly would be helpful. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled Act serveral times but that has not fixed the issue.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Integrity
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Sage ACT Pro 2013

So... unless it is confidential info, what is the name of your computer and user name?  If you can answer with some characters changed, that would be fine - just want to see the format and any special characters used.

The connection to SQL is essential to the program.  Is the service 'SQL Server (ACT7)' listed in Windows Services?  If yes, is it started?  If not started, what is the error when you attempt to start?

If 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is not listed in Services, the installation of SQL is incomplete.

When the IT guys signed on with the Windows Admin user name, were they able to open Sage ACT! and create a database (or open an existing)? 

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello Integrity,
Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Can you provide the error message?
Greg Martin
Sage

I get multiple error messages including a long string of errors that I am unable to copy. The most common one is unable to connect to the SQL server. I looked up some of the forum documents and attempted to follow the directions but I am unable to log in to the administrator account because the tech from Sage never told me what he set the password up as when he created the Admin account when he fixed the problem the last time. It has something to do with the SQL server not installing properly because of a conflict with the PC name that is the user account I log into. I will see if I can somehow copy or at least type in part of the long string of content I get as my error message.

The first error I get when I try to restore a database from a back up is "failed to open a connection to database"

When I try to create a new database the error message I receive is "ACT! encountered an error while performing your request. Please contact your administrator for assistance"

When I try and open a database I already have on my PC I click on the file and hit open nothing happens at all.

I also get the Can't connect to SQL Server.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Integrity
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

So... unless it is confidential info, what is the name of your computer and user name?  If you can answer with some characters changed, that would be fine - just want to see the format and any special characters used.

The connection to SQL is essential to the program.  Is the service 'SQL Server (ACT7)' listed in Windows Services?  If yes, is it started?  If not started, what is the error when you attempt to start?

If 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is not listed in Services, the installation of SQL is incomplete.

When the IT guys signed on with the Windows Admin user name, were they able to open Sage ACT! and create a database (or open an existing)? 

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your quick response. I was able to find a reset sql and reset the password and was able to restart the sql server and everything is now running for the time being at least. Hopefully this will be the last time I have this problem even though it tends to happen every couple of weeks Smiley Sad

When they signed in with the Administrator they were able to open exisiting and create a new.

I was able to bypass the logging into the Administrator account with the reset sql so hopefully it will work that way next time and I can deal with resetting the admin password another time Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help!

Very glad to hear you have resolved your issue!  Thank You for posting the update with the steps that resolved it.

Greg Martin
Sage

I just upgraded from ACT 2009 to ACT 2013 since I am moving to a new desktop with Windows 8 - I have the same issue attempting to restore a database that was created on ACT 2009. I have been working on a solution for a few days without success....any suggestions? I have a screen shot that I captured of the exact error message.

My Windows 8 machine was attacked and laocked up  by RUSSIAN FBI virus

I cannot restore the database to a new computer.

HELP.