Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 and Windows 8.1 Compatibility

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 and Windows 8.1 Compatibility

Ok, so here's my issue. I work for an insurance agency as the go-to person for all things data and hardware, and data is super important and I have to help maintain them, as well as make sure all new computers have SageACT! on them. All the computers use Sage ACT! Pro 2012, even the new server we just got (Windows 7 Pro).

The Boss Man recently got a Surface Pro 2, and it has Windows 8.1. He wants to install Sage ACT! Pro 2012, but I run into the issue of "This app can't run on your PC." I have tried just about every trick in the book to force install this thing, but Win 8.1 seems to really hate it (Keeps telling me to go to the Windows Store to find an app).

I've read elsewhere that 2012 and some earlier ones work with Windows 8. However, I am unsure if 8.1 makes compatibility moot. So, community members, please help this lost tech find a way to get her Boss Man's Surface Pro installed with this thing somehow. Otherwise, he's not going to be too thrilled if he has to buy the newest version since he does quite a bit of travelling and would like his database on the go in his backpack/briefcase without dragging around something so clunky.

Re: Sage ACT! Pro 2012 and Windows 8.1 Compatibility

There may be a way to get it installed and functioning if you beat your head against a wall long enough, but I've personally never heard of anyone getting Sage ACT! 2012 to install and function properly on a Windows 8 machine. It just wasn't designed to work on that operating system. 

However, the latest 3 versions of Act! (2013, v16, and v17) are all compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1. Since the Boss Man's computer is a Surface Pro 2, it should truly be running Windows 8.1 and not Windows RT (A mobile version of Windows 8 which doesn't allow desktop applications). This means that if he were to upgrade to a newer version, he should be able to use his Surface Pro 2 instead of having to drag around a brick of a machine when traveling just so he can use his database.

Hope that helps!

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com