Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 will not merge if Microsoft Word is open

Copper Contributor

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 will not merge if Microsoft Word is open

I'm using the stand alone version of ACT! Pro 2011 w/ Microsoft Offce 2010 Pro (stand alone as well) and lately when I try to do an email merge in ACT!, I get the following error:

The message filter indicated that the application is busy. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))

and Word gives me this message: Word Cannot save this file because it is already open elsewhere. (C:\Users\Lee\...\Normal.dotm)

If I close Word and then do a mail merge, it works just fine. I have tried to disable add-ons, reboot, updates, rub my belly and spin around 3 times, but nothing is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Bronze Contributor

Re: Sage ACT! Pro 2011 will not merge if Microsoft Word is open

You see that error if Winword is running in the background.  Outlook is guilty of keeping it open if you use Word as your editor in outlook.  Try going into Outlook, telling it to use HTML instead of Word and see if this is what is causing the issue.  Something on the system is keeping the Winword.exe running in the task manager.  Since it is already open you get that error.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, that didn't do it. My editor selections are HTML, Rich Text, and Plain Text. It was already set to HTML. And as far as I have been able to find out, Word is embedded as the editor in Outlook 2010 so there's no editor selection option.

It has no issues doing the email merge w/ Outlook open and Word is not. But if Word is open it won't work. If I close Word it will merge properly with Outlook open or closed.

It's very frustrating. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

Edit: I just deleted preferences using actdiag and that didn't help.

Bronze Contributor

Ok, you may be running into the Redemption.dll issue.  It's basically something going on between Office and ACT - something is being held open in the background.  Outlook connectivity can break because of this as well, so this redemption.dll fix might help.  Here's a link to the Knowledgebase article.  the article is too long to post here.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28237/

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

I had hoped that would have done it, but no luck. Still getting the error messages. I'm about to uninstall ACT at this point and do a reinstall. The only thing that bothers me is I have ACT4Advisors as well and will have to do some work to preserve my settings for that.

Bronze Contributor

check with Scott.  He may have a mechanism for saving the ACT4Advisors preferences. i seem to remember something out on his Knowledgebase about reinstalling ACT4Advisors.

Also, there is a KB about preserving  your preferences.  I've listed it below.  I believe Scott basically loads all his stuff in the same folders that ACT uses.  so, backing up the preferences files, doing your reinstall, and then putting back the files noted in the KB below should work.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770/~/how-to-rebuild-the-sage-act!-prefer...

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

Hi Lee-Bro

Did the reinstall work for you

Copper Contributor

I chose not to do the reinstall. Because of the customized settings in Act4Advisors. I may end up doing it though as the issue persists to this day. If i do, I'll post my results.