Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! Database Install

Sage ACT! Database Install

Hi

I'm looking for instructions to create the Sage ACT! database in an existing SQL Server 2008 database. We cannot run install programs on our production database server so I'd like to create the database elsewhere and move the database into our production environment or simply run SQL scripts to create the schemas.

I have found instructions to manually create an ACT7 instance but I'd like to create the ACT database in an existing instance and those instructions still required the install software be run on the database server to create the schemas.

Thanks and take care,

Shayne

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sage ACT! Database Install

Hello Shayne,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. Unfortunately, you can only use the ACT7 instance of SQL to create and manage ACT! databases, and the instance and the database must be on the same local machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks

So if I have to have a separate ACT7 instance for Sage, and can't use our existing production instance, is there a way to manually create the database schemas without using the install DVD? We don't permit software install disks to alter our database environments so I'm looking for a manual process.

Take care,

Shayne

Platinum Elite Contributor

The recommendation would be to create the ACT7 instance then install ACT! on the server. You can then create the database through ACT!. Once done, then you can uninstall ACT!. If you don't want to do this, then create the database on a workstation with ACT! on it, then move the database to the server and connect it with SQL management studio. The first method is preferred as you may run into an issue with SA password using the second method. Keep in mind that running the database on a server without ACT! installed is not a recommended configuration.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks

The install guides outline how to run the database on a separate server and I haven't seen anything yet that recommends against running this configuration. However it is important in our environment to keep the web server, client software and database servers separate. Could you please provide additional information or direct me to any applicable KB articles regarding the recommendation to run the ACT! client/admin software on the database server? I'll need to know the rationale and risk.

Thanks and take care,

Shayne