Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! 2011 won't start

Tuned Listener

Sage ACT! 2011 won't start

I installed ACT! 2011 Thursday and all was well until I had to reboot my computer. Now, ACT! won't start! I keep getting the message:

Sage ACT! has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I was really hoping to spend some time this Labor Day weekend learning and working with some of the new features.

Rick Ayres

Lakes Print

Re: Sage ACT! 2011 won't start

I have experienced the exact issue and like you, I was looking forward to spending the labor day weekend learning the system.  Instead, I have spent hours in frustration and have lost a lot of productivity.  Needless to say, I am hitting myself for even thinking about an upgrade. 

Anyone wanting to develop a program to compete with ACT is open to using me as a beta.  I am so frustrated with the Sage organization that I could spit nails.

Tuned Listener

What is extra strange is that I tried to reinstall ACT 2011 and even that crashes. I went to the control panel to uninstall 2011, and it wasn't even listed. So, I reinstalled 2010 and restored my backup. Not really what I wanted to do, but I need to keep things moving. I'll be asking for a refund unless they have an absolute, guaranteed fix.

Rick Ayres

Lakes Print

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Rick and mcthomann,
I'm sorry to hear of the error you are getting when starting ACT!. Usually this type of error does not indicate a problem with the program, but rather an installation problem caused by something on your machine. Please provide some information to help resolve this issue:
- What operating system are you using?
- Are you logged into Windows as a Administrator user?
- Did you have a firewall or antivirus program during your install?
- Were the any error messages during the install?
- Did you have an earlier version of ACT! on your machine when you installed 2011?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

WINDOWS 7
Logged in as an administrator
Firewall disabled
Error message of "Can't create output file"
Act 2010
Tuned Listener

No error report during installation. ACT 2010 Installed, but 2011 uninstalled it during the install. No firewall running on my XP machine and Antivirus turned off. 2011 worked fine Thursday until this morning's reboot.

Tuned Listener

Another item is that now with 2010 reinstalled, I no longer have the E Marketing tab available and I had to rename my database, so my email sync isn't working properly, have to relink my blackberry, etc, etc, etc... This is a real inconvenience. I don't like hearing it's always the "machine" and not the software. I've had myriads of issues this past year with 2010, all pointing to ACT Scheduler or another ACT service causing my computer to reboot randomly, sometimes 3-4 times a day. This still hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction. 

Sorry, but I need to vent a little as I'm kicking myself for upgrading in the first place and letting myself become a lab rat - again.

Rick Ayres

Lakes Print

I totally agree with your feelings and concerns.  Neither one of us is using the same operating system, yet both of us upgraded via the internet, both systems appeared to be working, and both crashed the next morning.  I am sure the software writers will always blame the operator, but like you, my experiences with 2010 were less than stellar.  Compound that with having to pay for technical assistance, it really makes me wonder.  If I could figure a way to use another contact program without a loss of all of the time and information I have invested in ACT, I would change in a heart beat!

I find it intersting that I am upgrading from 2010 to 2011, yet at startup, after installing, 2011 asks me for my serial number.  Why can't Sage note my serial number from 2010, save me the trouble. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Serial numbers are coded for the version so the ACT! 2010 serial number isn't valid for ACT! 2011.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129