Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! 2010 Financial Professionals - Remote Database Install

Sage ACT! 2010 Financial Professionals - Remote Database Install

I followed the steps to create the Remote Database (on my laptop).  It appears to have created successfully.  However, when I try to open it on my desktop, it doesn't open. 

I am running Windows 7; therefore to open ACT!, I have to right click on the icon and Run as Administrator.

If I attempt to followi the instructions on Help?, and drag the RDB file and drop onto the ACT! icon, it tries to open, but then I get the normal error that comes when trying to open without right clicking.

Any thoughts??

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Sage ACT! 2010 Financial Professionals - Remote Database Install

Since this is Windows 7, here are 2 steps to take:
1. Set Sage ACT! to always run as administrator. To do this: close Sage ACT! > right-click Sage ACT! icon > select Properties. Click Compatibility tab > enable option at bottom to always run as administrator. Click OK to close Properties. Now, to open Sage ACT! - just double click the icon.

2. Open Sage ACT! > click File > select Restore > Database > Unpack and Restore option... Are you able to restore the database using this function?
Greg Martin
Sage

These steps did get me closer.  I was able to get the file to begin the Unpack and Restore process.  It now keeps getting close to the end and says the Restoration Failed.  Temporary files begin deleted.

Do I need to recreate the RDB?

Platinum Super Contributor

It's possible the RDB file was damaged when being transferred to the laptop, recopying it may help. 

Is there more to the error than 'restoration failed. temporary files being deleted'?

Have you tried creating a new database (File > New Database)?  If not, try it.  This will test the installation of Sage ACT! and SQL Server.

If it can create a new database, there is an alternate way to unpack the remote.  You can unpack it on the computer with the publisher database (don't initiate sync), then move the database to the laptop.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 23392

Greg Martin
Sage