Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQLAgent$Act7 Will Not Start

SQLAgent$Act7 Will Not Start

[ Edited ]

I'm having problems with a reinstallation of Act! 2006.  It's installed on a fresh copy of XP Pro that was previously running the same programs.  I had a HDD crash and had to reinstall everything.  Anyway, I cannot get the SQLAgent$Act7 service to start.  It will try to start the service and then tell me that the service has stopped.  I checked the 2005 SQL Express Configuration Manager, and there isn't even a listing for the ACT! instance of SQL Server.  I have tried recreating the .PAD file and that didn't work.  I also made sure the SQLAgent$Act7 was running as a local service.

I have also uninstalled my antivirus program, turned off the firewall and made sure SQL was running the latest update.  None of them helped.

I saw a post where the user was directed to uninstall ACT and SQL Express, but I really can't do that in my case.  I am also running a TimeClock program that also uses it's own instance of SQL Server.  Previously these two programs were functioning perfectly.  Thanks for your help.

Oh, I almost forgot, the MSSQL$ACT7 service starts properly.

Message Edited by Spyderturbo007 on 02-01-2010 10:02 AM
Message Edited by Spyderturbo007 on 02-01-2010 10:06 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: SQLAgent$Act7 Will Not Start

The MSSQL$ACT7 service is actually the important one.  What error are you getting when you try to open your database?

Just FYI - Act 2006 uses SQL MSDE (Microsoft Desktop Engine), you won't see an instance for Act! under your SQL Server 2005 install. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Do you know what version of SQL your TimeClock program uses? Is it MSDE (SQL 2000) or SQL 2005 Express? ACT! 2006 uses MSDE, and with MSDE only one application can use it at a time. Multiple application (instances) were not available until SQL 2005 (which is used by ACT! 2007 and higher). So if TimeClock is using MSDE, then ACT! 2006 will not be able to open a local database on that machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi ghollister, I appreciate you taking the time to help with my problem!  The TimeClock program runs SQL Express 2005. 

Here are some screenshots of the errors I'm getting.  The service tries to start and the stops and then an error is thrown in the Event Log.  

Error

Error #1

No other thoughts?  This is really putting a hamper on productivity since I have to run Act in an RDC session.
Platinum Elite Contributor

It sounds like the problem is with your install of MSDE. Unfortunately Sage no longer supports MSDE (I don't think Microsoft does either), so we cannot offer advanced troubleshooting. My suggestion would be a manual uninstall of ACT! and MSDE, reboot, then reinstall both from the ACT! disk. Before you reinstall, you should go into Services and stop the SQL Server service for Timeclock. After you have reinstalled ACT! and MSDE, you can restart that service. You can find instructions for a manual removal if ACT! 2006 and MSDE in KB 15285. If this fails, you may want to consider upgrading ACT! to a more current version or perhaps contacting an ACT! Certified Consultant (ACC) in your area.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.