Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL server won't start

SQL server won't start

Hi everyone I am not able to create a new database in Act 2010. This is the error message I get when I try. I am running Vista Home Premium I had other people give me advise and the SQl server still won't start. If you look at my notes you will see I tried just about everything. Can anyone help. Thanks Sam

Windows could not start the SQL Server (Act) on local

Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If

This is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and

Refer to service-specific error code 3417.

Bronze Contributor

Re: SQL server won't start

You could try the following knowledge base article

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2704...

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks Paul but that didn't seem to work either. If you have any more hints I would be glad to receive them. Thanks again. Sam

Nickel Elite Contributor

Sam - 

I've had SQL problems with two users in the past week.  Not 100% certain why just two, as each user is 1 of many in their company, and they are the only ones so far.  I'm wondering if there was a Microsoft update that came out last week that has screwed something up.

Regardless, uninstalling and reinstalling SQL Server was the only solution that worked.  I'd go down that path if I were you and not waste any more time on trying to fix it.

Keep us posted...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

I want to thank all who tried to help me first Greig, then Paul and finally Richard. All of you lead me in the right direction to get my database back. It is working perfectly and all I have to do now is to sync the two computers. I uninstalled the SQL server then downloaded the new one followed the directions from Greig and Paul and Richard and just a little updating and I am back in business. Thanks all, Sam

Copper Contributor

I am having a similar problem trying to install ACT!2011 on an XP Home computer.  Just can't get SQL to install completely.  What was your final solution exactly?  What version of ACT! were you installing.