Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL server (ACT7) stopped and cannot start

SQL server (ACT7) stopped and cannot start

I have ACT 2009 I am able to open the program but can't open any databases even the demo database. This error pops up:

"The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..."

After encountering this message, I go into sql server configuration. The SQL server(ACT7) state is status is listed as stopped. When I try to start it. this error message pops up:

"The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details"

What should I be looking for?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: SQL server (ACT7) stopped and cannot start

You will want to check the Windows Event Viewer, this can be done by:

- right click on 'My Computer' icon ('Computer' for Vista/Windows 7)

- select Manage

- expand 'Event Viewer'

- look for errors in the System and Application sections

Errors here will help give an indication of the issue.

Possibly anti-virus software blocking

Here is an article with instructions for adding exceptions to your anti-virus software: KB Article 25125

Possibly conflict with other software

Here is an article with instructions for restarting your computer in Selective Startup, this will show if other programs are conflicting with the SQL program - preventing it from starting the service:  KB Article 14173

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: SQL server (ACT7) stopped and cannot start

[ Edited ]

I updated from ACT! 2005 to ACT! 2011 on Windows Server 2003.

I unstalled ACT! 2005 first then installed ACT! 2011.

ACT! 2011 installed fine and I can open the program.

When I try to open my existing database, I get 

"The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

I go into the sql server configuration and both the SQL Server Browser and SQL Server (ACT7) are stopped.  I am able to start the SQL Server Browser but when I try to start the SQL Server (ACT7) I get,

"The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details"

Windows Firewall is off

Event Viewer doesn't seem to show anything significant.