Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL issue when installing Act! 2011

SQL issue when installing Act! 2011

After the problems I had with Act 6, I happened across a copy of Act 2011 and tried to install it and now I'm having a problem installing it. The error message I get is this:

"SQL did not install successfully".

I tried to send feedback to Act but it wouldn't go through. The full message is this:

"Sage ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.HardReset(String strSecurityCmdLnApp, String ACTPath) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2008(String SourcePath, String ACTPath, String Param, String strSAPWD, Boolean InstallSP) at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2008(String strSrcPath, String strSQLPath, String strACTPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean IsSPNeeded)"

Any idea of what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: SQL issue when installing Act! 2011

Hi Warren,

You may have to try installing the SQL instance manually.  Try the steps provided here:  KB 26994 ID http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994

see you you go with that.

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jared but honestly I don't really understand the rearson for a server for this. I don't want to install a server. I just want to install a program on my desktop, just one computer. I'm nervous about installing a server just for this program.

For reference, my comp is a Vista (serv pack 2), 32bit machine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

All versions of the ACT! program after ACT! 6 require the SQL server to manage the database. Server is a general term for a program like the SQL server. In ACT! 6, the database was a set of files and the ACT! program directly managed the database. However it limited the maximum size of the database. With the later versions of the ACT! program the database is connected to the SQL server which start and computer boot time and the ACT! program no longer needs to manage the actual database file. The function is similar to the Windows file manager.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the clarification Roy.

Roadblock at every turn. I try to install the SQL instance for ACT 2011 and I get this message:

"TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup

The following error has occurred: Error reading from file: E:\ACT Premium 2011 13.0.401.1\Dependencies\SQL Express 2008 R2\x32\x86\setup\sql_engine_core_shared_msi\PFiles\SqlServr\100\Tools\Binn\schemas\sqlservr\2004\bulkload\format\pkz_pec-.xsd. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&Evtsrc=setup.rll&EvtID=500... "

I searched for the .xsd file and nothing comes up then I go to the Microsoft link and get a "page you requested cannot be found. " message. I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have no choice but to run recovery mode and wipe everything off and take it back to being like a computer that is just out ot fhe box. Then reinstall Act 6.

Anyone have any idea if I really need the .zsd file or can I skip it? This is just becoming tooooooo much work!

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Warren,

What OS are you running?
If it is a 64 bit OS then try installing SQL Express 2008 R2 from the x64 folder instead and see if that works.

Otherwise you can also download the SQL installer directly from Microsoft as well (this can be handy if the installer in your Act! directory is corrupt) http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=30438

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

I'm running 32 bit Vista. I ended up performing the recovery last night and have been adding back my programs, sans the ones I don't have the program discs for anymore which I really didn't want to do because of that. The recovery was the last resort after a week's worth of trying to find work arounds. On the plus side Act 6 is now working like it used to.