Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Windows Update KB 921896 fails

SQL Windows Update KB 921896 fails

I recently purchased my first Vista machine, and yesterday installed my original ACT 2007 version onto the VIsta Home Premium . . . I believe successfully . . . softwared opened, and databases moved from the older XP machine appear fine on the new computer.

However, overnight Windows Update detected the SQL Server 2005 installed by ACT, and downloaded Windows Update KB 921896 which is described as "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896)" . . . . This update fails returning a failure Code 2B26 . . . . .

I recalled the same situation when first installing ACT 2007 on my Windows XP machine, so I looked back to my records and found a reference to a "permissions" issue . . . .

So I went into:  Administrative Tools --> Services

To make sure these are starting automaticly

SQL Server (ACT7)
SQL Server Active Directory Helper (Optional)
SQL Server Browser
SQL Server VSS Writer

I switched them all to automatic . . . . my recollection is that fixed the issue on my XP machine, and the service pack then installed . . . . however, it is not fixing the issue on my new Vista machine . . . . .

Can anyone give me further direction so the update installs ?

Thanks in advance

Steve Kuckuk
Wisconsin
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: SQL Windows Update KB 921896 fails

Re: SQL Windows Update KB 921896 fails

to:  AJones . . . .

Thanks so much.....

Though as a non-technical person I found the link you suggested to be somewhat "daunting", I was able to re-read it enought times to absorbe enough to execute, successfully, those suggestions..... and when that process was completed, the Windows Update did successfully complete......

Thanks again....

Steve K
in Wisconsin