Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server will NOT start/Error code 3417

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

SQL Server will NOT start/Error code 3417

I cannot access my database and get the database "could not be accessed" message.  The steps described in the separate post on this subject have not helped, so I'm thinking I'm trying to fix the wrong problem.  If I right click the system tray icon and "start", it looks like it's trying, but after a few seconds it stops.  When I run services.msc. right click on SQL Server (ACT7) and "Start", it runs for a couple of minutes, then I get a message that includes "If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3417".  I haven't seen this referenced on this board and a search turns up no hits, so I'm wondering if I have a different issue. 

As an FYI, I also tried to restore from a recent backup and it errored out as well. 

I'm really stuck in a bad place here.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MikeS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server will NOT start/Error code 3417

Mike,

I think that the easiest solution for you is to uninstall ACT! as well as Microsoft SQL Server 2005 via Add/Remove programs under control panel.  There are a number of possible items that would return the error code, but this should do it.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

2 items to check for here, this is a specific issue with Microsoft SQL Server Express / 2005

First, make sure that the ACT7 service instance is set to run as Local System Account 

Second, make sure that there is no compression set on the drive / folders that are hosting SQL

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

Hi, Matt-

It is set to Local System Account with Allow Service to Interact with Desktop checked.

This is a standalone installation on a laptop.  Compress drive to save disk space is unchecked.

What next?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I've gone two days without access to my schedule and I need to get this straightened out.  Worst case, if I take the time to reinstall, is that likely to solve the problem? 

Mike

Solution
Accepted by topic author MikeS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Mike,

I think that the easiest solution for you is to uninstall ACT! as well as Microsoft SQL Server 2005 via Add/Remove programs under control panel.  There are a number of possible items that would return the error code, but this should do it.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

Matt -

Just wanted to say thanks. 

I removed ACT using it's uninstall function.  Unistalled the ACT7 SQL Server (left anything else related to SQL alone).  Reinstalled and it seems to be OK. 

I appreciate your help -

Mike

Local System is set, but where do I find info on how to set compression?