Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: torn page

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: torn page

This evening I installed the 10.0.1 update and opened up my several databases one at a time to update them from the 10.0 hotfix 1 level (can't recall the exact version number). The first two databases updated fine, but then the third one comes up with this error:

LOCAL DATETIME: 2008-03-30 22:04:53
SERVERNAME: GONDOR\ACT7
ENGINE EDITION: 4 Express Edition
PRODUCT VERSION: 9.00.3042.00 (SP2)
SERVER COLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYNC ENABLED: False
SYNC ROLE:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATABASE: Masons
CREATE VERSION: 611
RECOVERY MODEL: SIMPLE
DB COLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
AUTO CLOSE: 0
AUTO SHRINK: 1
AUTO CREATE STATS: 1
AUTO UPDATE STATS: 1
TORN PAGE DETECT: 1

Configuration option 'user instances enabled' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
CURRENT BUILD: 10.00.0209.0000
UPDATE BUILD: 10.01.0189.0000
-------------------------------------------------------------
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
TraceFlag Status Global Session
--------- ------ ------ -------
8017 1 1 0
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.
SETTING DATABASE COMPATIBILITY LEVEL...
create_date compatibility_level user_access_desc recovery_model_desc
----------------------- ------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------
2008-03-22 14:38:56.640 90 MULTI_USER SIMPLE
-------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
NOW DROPPING ALL SYNC UPDATE TRIGGERS... (PRIOR VERSION = 10.00.0209.0000)
STARTTIME: 2008-03-30 22:04:54
Msg 824, Level 24, State 2, Server GONDOR\ACT7, Line 1
SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: torn page (expected signature: 0x55555555; actual signature: 0x5555555d). It occurred during a read of page (1:1568) in database ID 7 at offset 0x00000000c40000 in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases\Masons.ADF'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must b
e corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Running the "actdiag" program just continues to give me similar errors if I try to use it to fix/repair my database. I'm guessing I need to execute the "DBCC CHECKDB" command... but how???

This is driving me nuts, and I'm getting rather frustrated tonight with Act!

THANKS
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: torn page

I've never seen that error.

First, have you got a backup of the database?

If you have, can you try deleting the PAD file. Then, from ACT!, File | Open | Change file type to ADF and open the ADF file for the database.