Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server SP3 Error Message

SQL Server SP3 Error Message

I have just installed ACT! v.7 on an Win XP computer. It connects to an ACT! database server in our office. 3 other users successfully connect to this database server from their PCs (with the same OS, computer configuration, and ACT software -- it's a 5 user license).

However, when I try to connect to the "ACT! server PC" with this computer, I receive an error message. I double-click to open ACT! and the logon screen appears. When I click on the login screen, I receive a window that says, "ACT! requires at least service pack 3 of SQL Server."

I have downloaded and installed SP3 from Microsoft's website, but it still won't connect. Does this mean that it wants it on our ACT Server? Why don't any of the other PCs have a problem with this?

If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it!!
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: SQL Server SP3 Error Message

Check your version of ACT on this machine. Go to Help/About ACT. If it is different than the version of ACT on Server machine, you will need to update accordingly. Each computer must be on the same version of ACT.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Upgrade... if at all possible.

You will be MUCH happier if you jump to ACT! 10

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they are all the same version -- we have 1 CD with a 5-user license.  It is ACT! v.7. 

Any insight is appreciated.

I must be honest, we had problems with our last two versions of ACT, and when we upgraded to this version, we still experience 'glitches'.  We really don't want to upgrade again (expenditure of a great deal of conversion time and money) only to experience more headaches.

But thanks for your insight. 
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi,

What version of 2005 are you running? Are they all on 7.0.2, 7.0.3 etc?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Yeah its usually the version on your client is different to the one on the server, I expect they will all be v7 but they may be different builds, ie 7.0.3 or 7.0.4, check in help > about act and look in the top right corner. I would recommend that you get everyome on the 7.0.4 build regardless of which build they are using at the moment, you can get the update from www.act.com > support > downloads, you will need to register but that should see you right.

see here for more info:

answer id 14517

Message Edited by broony on 02-13-2008 06:45 PM

Broony,

Thanks so much for your suggestion, explanation, and directions.  This was exactly the problem.  Our original software had v. 7.0.2, and through ACT! automatic updates, our database server was running 7.0.4.  With your instructions, I was quickly able to download & install the updates on the new machine and everything works great now.

Thanks again.

AJ,

Thanks for your helpful reply.  With your reply and the next one I received from "broony", I was able to find the problem -- it was that our original software is v. 7.0.2 and the database server runs 7.0.4 (these updates were done automatically through ACT! so we weren't aware of the changes.)

Once I downloaded the updates and made the new machine v7.0.4, it connects fine.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. 
Copper Contributor

Glad to see your problem solved. And thanks for letting us know what fixed the problem. We definitely appreciate follow-up posts. Smiley Happy