Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server Failes to Install

SQL Server Failes to Install

I am on ACT 11.1 update.

Even with the the messages in this forum, I am unable to successfully install the SP3 update to SQL Server. I have downloaded the ACT file

SQLServerDBEngineUpdater_Express.exe and run it. It gets through the first 3 steps successfully and fails with the message:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Product Version : 9.3.4035.00
Install         : Failed

Inside the log file it says:

MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:703]: SOURCEMGMT: Looking for sourcelist for product {1D785EB3-E6DD-4FAA-949C-D2E5D376C792}MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:703]: Note: 1: 1706 2: {1D785EB3-E6DD-4FAA-949C-D2E5D376C792} 3:  MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:703]: SOURCEMGMT: Failed to resolve sourceMSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:703]: Note: 1: 1708 MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:703]: Note: 1: 2729 MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:718]: Note: 1: 2729 MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:718]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (D4:70) [08:56:23:734]: MainEngineThread is returning 1612The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.c:\f7d5435375732e4ca305630861664c48\Setup\SqlRun_SQL.msi

I looked for the file immediately above and it does not exist on my machine.

It tries to updae from Microsoft every time I shut down but fails there as well.

I have no idea what to do next.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server Failes to Install

For whatever the reason, the original component MSI file cannot be located during the update.  The quickest solution for you is to do this:

1) Uninstall ACT!

2) Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2005

3) Reinstall your ACT! Product

4) Attempt to reapply ACT! KB 21104 to upgrade to SQL Express Service Pack 3.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

Nickel Elite Contributor

yes, thanks Mike, I am the one that reported this.  Do you need the MS defect number?
Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

Don't need, but would be nice.

I saw it while cruising the net and wanted to make sure you guys were aware.

So many have blaimed Sage for this issue, and even abused me for saying it wan an MS issue as it also happened to non-ACT! users, that I wanted to be sure you had the ammo to show it was an MS fault... and maybe to come up with a work-around.

Thanks for the input. I did what you suggested and was eventually successful in installing the upate and getting everything working again.

The thing that I would add for the typical user is that uninstalling SQL Server did not work when the msi file was missing. Therefore, I had to uninstall the components that would uninstall first, then I shut down the server and marked it to not start. Then I deleted the folder in Program Files. Then I had to go into the registry and find all the places that referenced the SQL Server. Then I deleted the rest of the files in Program Files to be sure nothing would be left.

At that point it seemed to be in a state that I was able to install ACT, the update and the update for SQL Server from ACT SQL updater I found elsewhere. All of this took me a couple of hours for each machine that failed to update. Interestingly, two of our 4 machines updated successfully, one from the Microsoft update after a few initial failures; one from the update posted on ACT.com and the other two failed. They were all installed at essentially the same time with all the same software on all 4 machines.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thought I would follow up on this MSI corruption issue with this Microsoft link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;971187&sd=rss&spid=12925

thanks

Matthew McFadden