Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server Error when using Restore As function

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL Server Error when using Restore As function

I have Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 6 on both my laptop and my desktop.  I typically move my data to my laptop using the restore as function one or two times a year that I go traveling.  It works like a charm.  This time however, when moving the data to my laptop I received the following message: "The database cannot be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL Server.  Please contact your administrator for assistance"   What do I do.  I have no idea what this message relates to.  Both machines are running the latest update of windows 10, so I assume everything on each machine should be about the same.  Can anyone help me out on this one?  

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mezweig
‎07-01-2018 06:30 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server Error when using Restore As function

The error means just what it says. The ACT! SQL instance on the two machines were created by different versions of MSSQL. I'm guessing that the laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 while the other machine used a fresh install of Windows 10 and the ACT! program. To fix the problem you will need to uninstall the ACT! program and the SQL ACT7 instance on the laptop and then reinstall the ACT! program which will create a later version of the SQL ACT7 instance on the laptop.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mezweig
‎07-01-2018 06:30 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

The error means just what it says. The ACT! SQL instance on the two machines were created by different versions of MSSQL. I'm guessing that the laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 while the other machine used a fresh install of Windows 10 and the ACT! program. To fix the problem you will need to uninstall the ACT! program and the SQL ACT7 instance on the laptop and then reinstall the ACT! program which will create a later version of the SQL ACT7 instance on the laptop.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Copper Contributor

Thank you Roy, your advice was right on.  Just got everything transferred over thanks to you.   !!!!!!

Copper Super Contributor

Between two laptops trying to restore from laptop which had recent reset and reinstall act. On which do I reinstall ACT? Pro 21

Copper Super Contributor

I did as suggested and continue to get same sql error.

Copper Super Contributor

BTW, latest Win 10 on both machies