Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server (ACT7) does not show up in the services list?

Copper Contributor

SQL Server (ACT7) does not show up in the services list?

I've never seen this one before.  ACT pro 2013, Windows 7.  This is a recently re-imaged computer.  The installation of ACT and SQL proceeded normally and did not generate any errors.  SQL Server (ACT7) however does not display in the list of services.  Trying to open a database produces the expected "instance not available" error message.  So... I'm trying to understand not why the service didn't start, but why it's not even displayed.

Msconfig shows normal startup and the ACT7 instance of sql is not listed in the services tab either.

???

TIA

Scott Holmes

holmes@cornerstonesolutions.com

Nickel Contributor

Re: SQL Server (ACT7) does not show up in the services list?

If you can't see the MSSQL10_50.ACT7 folder in Program Files, ACT7 in the SQL server Configuration Tools "SQL Server Configuration Manager", or the instance in the registry "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\ACT7" I would manually install the instance of SQL express and see if you get any errors.

This shows you how to manually install

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994/kw/manually%20install%20SQL

You can download SQL express from here if needed.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

Copper Contributor

Thanks!  Just so I understand... Since the ACT7 instance appears to exist (when you uninstall SQL it displays as the only SQL instance.  I should uninstall, SQL, then install manually and try creating the instance.  That is, assuming the folder and registry key are not displayed?

Nickel Contributor

If SQL ACT7 instance exists in add and remove programs I would un-unstall it, re-boot the machine and then install SQL again.

Copper Contributor

Already did that but I let it install in the normal way (with ACT).  The install completed without (obvious) errors.  I'll try manual un/reinstall of SQL only.

Thanks