Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express) Detached from ACT Database - begging for help :)

SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express) Detached from ACT Database - begging for help :)

Hi,

Like many others, my ACT database (version ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2) has detached from the SQL Server 2008 r2 and ACT won't load. I have tried every fix I can find, following directions exactly for uninstalling and reinstalling ACT and SQL, trying to restart SQL Server ACT7, enabling the pipes/TCP/IP - I've done everything I can find and now I'm about to give up, and was wondering if anyone can give workarounds for saving my data - here are some ideas:

- Would upgrading to ACT 2012 automatically reestablish proper configuration of MS SQL and ACT, or would I have the same problems?

- I have a remote (my laptop) and a PC that is the host for ACT. The PC/host is the problem. My remote ACT is up and running, and I can navigate through my contacts, it's just not synching to the host. When I reboot my laptop, access to the database will be gone, right?

- The ALF file on the host is up-to-date with the latest synch, but I can't seem to convert it. I have an even older laptop that has ACT on it (which used to serve as the host), which I abondoned around a year ago. It loads ACT just fine with contacts from a year ago, but when I copied all of the ACT files from the PC and tried to open, I got the same SQL database error. Also, I couldn't convert or successfully open the ALF file.

- Is there any way to synch to my older database with my new information, and make that the host? I would then reformat the hard drive on my PC and re-install everything from scratch. I'm on a home network.

- Is there any way to save the data on my remote instance of ACT? I feel like once I reboot my laptop, all recent changes will be lost. Backup and restore options are greyed out (I'm sure I didn't set this up right, I was just happy I got it to work/synch!).

I've been a loyal user of ACT since v. 2 but these recent ones have gotten very buggy! I would so appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you! Smiley Happy

Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express) Detached from ACT Database - begging for help :)

Update - I finally got ACT to open, here's what the issue was in case it helps someone: I'm on a 64-bit system, but I tried uninstalling SQL Server R2 64 bit and re-installed 32 bit (from the ACT installation folder). The ACT7 Server was now automatically starting. I then went to Start>actdiag and attached the most recent ADF file. I then synched from the remote ACT to the host and everything is updated. So, yay!

The only issue is that I made so many system changes that now both the host and remote are unable to backup (or do any admin tasks). I tried running as administrator, disabling User Account Control, running in XP mode etc. but nothing's worked so far. I think the issue might be due to changing the database password within SQL as per the knowledgebase article. I tried going through a command prompt to change that but only got error messages. Do you think that's the issue or is something else causing the host computer to lose admin privileges?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express) Detached from ACT Database - begging for help :)

Hello Actactingup,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Glad to hear you were able to open yourd database and synchronize!  Thank you for the update.

To see if the current issue is with the installation or the database, create a new database and see if the functions are available.

Greg Martin
Sage

So smart - thanks for the idea! Yup, created a new database and I have admin privileges so it's the database.

I checked the "Users" and there are three listed, all three passwords I've created over the years are exactly the same and I'm 100% sure about that. For two of the users (both are me btw), I get access to Standard features, and for one of them - a user name I set up for the first installation in the 1990s, gives the error message that I don't have enough licenses to log in with this name. Do I need to contact Sage and pay for their password reset service?

Platinum Super Contributor

Good deal - isolated the issue!

So, if I read this correctly - you are able to sign in with 2 of the usernames, but they only have Standard authority.

If neither of these usernames can access the Manage Users option, then yes - you would need to contact our Database Services group for assistance.  Here is an article with instructions for contacting them: KB Article 24758

Greg Martin
Sage