Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109 won't install on Act!

SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109 won't install on Act!

A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. More information for this update can be found at http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/948109

It failed on multiple machines and operating systems (2003 Server, XP sp3 and Vista sp1) ... even the download and manual install failed. MS was contacted about the issue and have nothing in their database about a fix. None of the fixes in a previous thread were found to work on hundreds of systems.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server 2005 sp2 security update KB948109 won't install on Act!

Did you try the fix that I did to originally get it installed on all the systems in my office - Start | shutdown | Install Updates and Shutdown? I don't know why this worked for all my systems (W2003, XP and Vista), but not for some other users.

If MS say "there's nothing in their database", did you speak to their 2nd level support? It is certainly in their database as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957008/en-us

It does sound like you've had the bad luck of an MS support person who didn't do the right search of their database.

Please check that you've tried the above and then maybe try another call to MS and, if they say they don't know the problem, direct them to that KB and ask if there are any other solutions? 

Those who haven't managed to do the fixes in the other thread have managed to get an MS support person to do an online session and each time it has been resolved.

I finally gopt it to install, now my database won't open!

Maybe a bit more info?

What error do you get trying to open it?

What exact version of ACT!?

the databaes main could not be accessed . in order to access this darabase, check your network connectio ane verify that your database server is available. it may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

it's a standalone win xp pro. newist act (11.0)

when I try to convert a new database it says the sql database command timed out

thanks. I think that narrowed it down. Since Windows Update updated my SQL Server, I can't open any database nor actdiag. when I go to SQL browser service I see that the SQL server (act 7) service is set to starting. I can't restart it because all the tasks are greyed out (in properties also). now what?

btw, in my computer management  shares folder there is no mention of my database's supplemental files folder

now I did & NOW IT'S FIXED!! THANKS SO MUCH