Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL SERVER (ACT 7)

Copper Contributor

SQL SERVER (ACT 7)

The SQL Server (ACT7) is not running.

I go into services as administrator and select

it to start automaticly. but the next time

opening ACT receive the message is SQL is not running.

The Protexis Licensing stays set to Start automatically

I am using ACT pro v18 on a Windows 7 OS

The only change is the hard drive was formated and 

a fresh installation was completed.

Thanks for suggestions to eliminate this occurrence.

Nickel Contributor

Re: SQL SERVER (ACT 7)

Did you also manually start the service before running Act?

There are times, often after a Windows update, that SQL Server (Act7) will fail to start automatically, and you will have to manually start the service. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Mark Rogers
Act! v20 Update 9, Topline Designer
Office 365 SBP

Get used to it. ACT has not figured out a way to work seamlessly with SQL server. Upgrading to v21 doesn't help. You end up having to "restart" SQL server before opening ACT, and I've found the issue to be worse since the upgrade to v20 and v21. I've had to call tech support every 3-4 days just to get my database open, sometimes having to rely on backups (please backup every day). After 25 years of being a loyal ACT customer, I have finally given up on them. Switching to a new CRM. I apologize for the rant.
Copper Contributor

After 20 years an ACT user I'm also about to quit; the owner doesn't offer hotfixes for know issues but rather sell an upgrade which has issues also.

What alternate software have you heard is a good alternative?

Copper Contributor

Haven't set Services to "manually" start SQL Act7 because I want to open ACT without having to

add the step of manually starting SQL; Am I misunderstanding your recommendation?

Nickel Contributor

Yes, sorry. I wasn't suggesting that you should set it to "Manual" start, but rather that you "Start" the service when it does not start automatically. You want "SQL Server (Act7)" to set to "Automatic" start.

Mark Rogers
Office 365 SBP
Nickel Contributor

Are you running v18 SP2, Update 6?  If not, you might want to do those updates.

https://www.act.com/resources/downloads/act-pro-v18

Mark Rogers
Office 365 SBP
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Try this free Act! add-on from Keystroke...

https://www.keystroke.ca/en/apps/keystroke-downloads/download/7-free-utilities/132-sql-stop-restarte...

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Nickel Super Contributor

If you are having issues with SQL starting I would set the service start up type to be (Automatic) delayed start and then click on the recovery tab so that if there is a failure it re-starts the service. This means if your machine is slow at starting up then SQL will wait for other services to start first before trying and then failing to start correctly. 

revovery.JPGdelayed start.JPG

I switched to Redtail.  I'm in the financial services industry and it is more relevant to my business.  I really wanted to stick with ACT, since I've been using them for so long, but I've spent far too many hours on the phone with tech support over the past 5 weeks.  If this software is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10, then users should NOT have to go through extra steps with SQL just to get ACT to open, and those extra steps don't always work.  After I sent in a complaint, they did offer to step me up to tier 2 support(?), but it's too late for me.  I've already switched.  Can't afford to waste any more time on this issue.