Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Locking

Highlighted

SQL Locking

I have been using Act for about 20 years it seems.  I just recently upgraded to 2012 Premium from Act 6.  Wow!  What a difference!

Now my workflow and everything has changed...

For example... on a weekly basis, I would drag and drop all my 'data' files from my working drive to a backup drive.  I do this for everything that I use... including Act.  yes, I also use the Act backup feature to a zip file.  But you can never have enough backups.

In Act 6, there was no problem.  It dragged and dropped with ease.

But I can not do that with 2012 Premium.  Nor can I use Sugarsync, DropBox or Carbonite to backup a copy of the database to the cloud.  It appears as if the SQL 'whatever' is locking the database.  I did use an unlocker and was then able to drag and drop, but this is a tedious task if I have to do it everytime.

Also, I was using Sugarsync to upload a copy of my files to the cloud so that whenever I used my laptop away from the office, I could use that cloud file and it would automatically sync back.  Sugarsync will not even copy the files because theya re locked by the SQL thing.

I know that Act now has a sharing and sync feature which I will examine.  But does anyone have any ideas?  I need to be able to drag and drop just so I can sleep at night.  Do I really need to unlock the database each time?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Locking

Hello ApexUser,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. With a SQL database, you cannot copy or move the file while it is attached to SQL. An option for you would be to use the ACT! Scheduler to regularly make backups (.zip file), which you can drag and drop and which can be backed up by a third-party application. Instructions for setting up automatic backups are in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1921...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.