Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Install Problems 2012 Beta to 2012 Premium

Copper Super Contributor

SQL Install Problems 2012 Beta to 2012 Premium

Hi all

Just  quick note, i had major problems with my database specifcally the SQL server would not start Act7

I think the problem is that when the beta copy was isntalled it also installed SQL Server 2008 and when i went to the full product it did not recognise that the server was already installed and installed a second copy, so fun and games i think between the two server installs... maybe

I uninstalled both copies or tried to anyway and now trying to reinstall the Act programe and the SQL

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Copper Contributor

Re: SQL Install Problems 2012 Beta to 2012 Premium

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Not sure of the exact sequence of events but if you were using the beta product and was working fine and then you ONLY uninstalled the ACT! beta and then installed the gold version the behavior of the install would have connected to the already existing version of SQL. The ACT! install would not have called out to the SQL install. If it had then the SQL install would have failed because an already existing instance of SQL already would have existed. 

Is it possible that when you either uninstalled SQL via add/remove programs before you upgraded or that something else occurred post install to the SQL service? In event viewer (under control panel/administrative tools) you should be able to see what Microsoft SQL Service did and any error conditions.

Keith Saccuci
ACT! R&D
Copper Super Contributor

Re: SQL Install Problems 2012 Beta to 2012 Premium

Thanks Keith

I followed the instructions and uninstalled the beta only and it did go to install SQL again... it comes up with the 4 checks dialog box the first two it claimed already installed but the SQL and Act would be installed.

So i ended up wtih

1 x SQL 2005 SQL from other programs

4 x vertual c++ 2008

5 x SQL 2008 - 2 had (english) at the end 1 had (64) at the end and the last 2 had nothing at the end

IT was a very strange set of events, and it was a brand new clean computer 6 days before and it now had massive crash problems and conflicts

Anyway long story short i spent 8 hours uninstalling everything that was related to SQL and c++ along with ACT and the other 2 programs that use SQL then installed ACT

Very lucky i did a back up the night before all this went down, so data loss was very little

So end story it has run ok for 9 hours now and no computer crashes either

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6