Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Express 2005

SQL Express 2005

I recently had a Motherboard fail on my primary business system.  All data is safe but that PC is now history.

In my attempt to load ACT! 2010 onto an alternative system (Lenovo T61) I have tried repeatedly to load my ACT! 2010 software and each time it runs through the process only to get to the final loading sequence it then tells me that the SQL Native Client and the SQL Server Database Services "Setup Failed".

I have seached extensively on the Sage ACT! Knowledgebase, and the Internet in general, without any results.  It is my hope that someone that follows this community of ACT! users can guide me to a solution.

I have tried multiple approaches to 'work arounds' but to no avail.

The system that I am on is a MS Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 SP3 (Lenovo/Intel core 2 Duo CPU; T9300
@ 2.5GHz; 1.96GB of RAM

I have been able to get the files transferred to the 'host system' by way of a 'copy paste' from the hard drive that was on the failed system to the Lenovo system that I intend to use.

Any suggestions that can get me to load SQL Express 2005 would be greatly appreciated.  I have my ACT! data but am 'shut down' if I can't get ACT! to work on this remaining Lenovo System.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Express 2005

Copy paste of SQL files doesn't usually work ... make sure you keep access to the old system till you've tested the new one

It's possiblethat the copy-paste copied some stuff your shouldn't

Did you try this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19441

That is, actually, why I copy pasted.  I remember somewhere in the past someone telling me that could be an issue.  The original files are still resident on the hard drive that I removed from the failed system.  If I could get ACT! to load onto the new system then I could have that software look at the old hard drive.  Any other thoughts from the community would be appreciated.

P.

Mike,

I did try the link that you shared with me and it did not work.

I have another question that you might be able to help me with.

As you know, I have the hard drive from the original failed PC which I have encased as an external hard drive.  The latest ACT! file that I have is resident on that drive.  My hope was that I could get ACT! loaded onto the new system and then have that software look at the ACT! files from the new system to the 'old' hard drive file.  When I did that I would then backup and then restore to my new system.  My first question is does that make sense to you?

As you also know, my new system (actually a 4 year old Lenovo Laptop) is not accepting the ACT! software which I believe is due to the SQL problem.  Is there any way to trick the files on the now external hard drive to open on that drive using the ACT! software that is resident on that same drive?  If I could get it opened I could then get a current backup and transfer that to either the Laptop if I can get it to work or to a new desktop which appears to be the path that I am on.

Any thoughts?

How was Windows installed on the system?
Did they try and copy over any programs rather than install them?

The proper way is to install ACT! on the new system, set up a folder on the new drive for the database and copy the databases there. Accessing a SQL database on an external drive will cause issues

Mike,

After all else had failed I reached out to IBM for Rescue and Recovery disks and reformated the hard drive on the system that I was having an issue with.  That said, I have ACT! loaded now but am trying to figure out how best to transfer my ACT! data to the new system.  Her is the rub.  I last Backed up my data in mid-February.  I assume that I can open that backup file into my now functioning ACT! software but before I do that I want to see if there is a way for me to capture the ACT! data that I had when my Motherboard failed in late March.

I have the hard drive that was taken from the system that failed.  Is there any way to transfer that data to the new hard drive in a way that it could be read or, alternatively, is there any way to simply 'backup' those files to a backup file and then open that on my new hard drive?

Any thoughts that you might have would be appreciated.

Peter.