Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Error on loading

SQL Error on loading

When the computer starts up I get the error message: "Your SQL Server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (unknown package id).  Please uninstall and rerun setup to correct this problem."

All the documentation refers to Act 2007 not my version which is Act 2008 (10.0.1) -

Does this mean I have to completely uninstall ACT and reinstall it?  Can I just reinstall the SQL software (and how do I do that) without going through the pain of doing a complete uninstall.

Do I even need SQL?

Thanks.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: SQL Error on loading

Hi Bill,

Yes you can just reinstall SQL.

To do this, make sure ACT is closed. Open Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs
Remove the following programs:
Microsoft VSS Write
MXML Parser 6.0
Microsoft SQL Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files
Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Once they have been removed, insert your cd. Select to Browse the cd, open the Dependancies folder and run the SQLInstall.exe file

Also, as an aside, typically documentation for 2007 applies to 2008 as it is writtend on same basic backbone.

OK, did all that, made very sure not to have anything running... still getting the error message but everything seems to be working just fine... The error message is annoying however. Any thoughts?
Nickel Super Contributor

Bill,

Do you have anything else on your machine running SQL?

Quickest way to check this is to go to Start / Run and type in Services.msc
Once in the services windows, scroll through and see what you have listed as MSSQL$ or SQL Server(program) It may be another installation of SQL that's having issues if everything within ACT appears to be functioning.

services.msc shows: SQL Server (Act7)- automatic SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) - manual SQL Server Active Directory Helper - Disabled SQL Server Browser - automatic Still getting the error message, but everything seems to be working... is the problem the MSSMLBIZ? Should I somehow delet that, enable that, or what? By the way I'm running ACT8 but you said they both use the same backbone so I'm not thinking this is the problem. Thanks,
Nickel Super Contributor

Bill,

There could be an issue with the SQL instance for Small Biz. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to remove it.

If you do want to remove it, you should see it in add/remove programs listed as Microsoft SQL Database Engine (SmallBiz) or something very similar to that.

This is what's a little wierd... nothing shows up for Microsoft SQL Small Biz on the add/remove programs. I'm wondering if this has something to do with Outlook 2007 (a real piece of junk) that I upgraded to.

Went in and disabled the second incidence of SQL using services.msc Solved the problem. Thanks for the help.