Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Act7 Server Instance must be restarted after reboot

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL Act7 Server Instance must be restarted after reboot

The title says it all.  I can't load my Act database until the Act7 SQL Server instance is running.  After reboot, even though it is set at "automatic", it is not running.  I can solve the problem my going to services.msc, finding the instantce and starting it.  But I'd like to have it automatically srart upon reboot.  What should I do?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: SQL Act7 Server Instance must be restarted after reboot

Well, I think I have a solution.  I changed the startup from "automatic" to "automactic (delayed)".  The latter, I have read, was introduced in Vista, and defers the startup until the end of the boot process.  Whatever, it seems to work at first trial.  [For those unfamiliar with the process, one changes the startup by invoking "services.msc" in the run menu, scrolling down to SQL Act 7, right clicking, selecting "Properities" from the dropdown menu and changing the startup option appropriately."]

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Which version of ACT! and what is the operating system and service pack?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Super Contributor

I am running Pro 2011, Hot Fix 1, but it was also true under 2010.  Running Window 7 Home Premium, which has no service pack (yet).

Bronze Elite Contributor

It can be true in 2010, which runs SQL 2005 when a Windows Update fails to complete a service pack update for SQL.

However ACT! 2011 runs SQL 2008 and I don't know that there is any service pack update for that.

Were or are there some recent Windows Updates that you have run on this machine? Was there a time on this Windows 7  machine that it was running OK but now isn't?

Graeme Leo

Bronze Super Contributor

I've occasionaly seen SQL not want to start, I've found KB 19729 has helped with most of them.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1972...

Ben.

Copper Super Contributor

Well sure.  I do all of the MS updates that MS recommends.  It started happening maybe three weeks ago.  Upon reflection, I am not sure that it occurred under Act 2010.  I was a beta tester for 2011, and it might have started when I installed the new version. (I thought that installing the non-beta version of  Act 2011 might address the issue, but it didn't).  I have Act 2011 installed on a similarly configured machine, but this doesn't happen on that machine.  The only substantial difference is that this machine is running the 62 bit version of Win 7, while the other machine is runnig the 32 bit vereson.

Copper Super Contributor

I checked, and the "Domain" key wasn't there.  I added it, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  (The Key doesn't have a value either on the machine in question or a machine where the SQL instance does initiate properly.)

Bronze Elite Contributor

Running 64 bit Win 7 wouldn't be the issue.

Myself, I would nuke and pave. It depends on how big the job is but if time is important to you I suggest that you just start again and reinstall Windows 7. Often you can fiddle about trying to sort these issues but best just to start again and then you know there will be an outcome. I would probably not install a Home version of Windows 7. At some point you get caught out with the limitations of the Home versions.    

Graeme Leo

Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Well, I think I have a solution.  I changed the startup from "automatic" to "automactic (delayed)".  The latter, I have read, was introduced in Vista, and defers the startup until the end of the boot process.  Whatever, it seems to work at first trial.  [For those unfamiliar with the process, one changes the startup by invoking "services.msc" in the run menu, scrolling down to SQL Act 7, right clicking, selecting "Properities" from the dropdown menu and changing the startup option appropriately."]

This is a known issue with regards to ACT 2011 Pro and Premium.........