Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL(ACT7) Error

SQL(ACT7) Error

A while back I uninstalled an older version of ACT!  Now I am trying to install ACT! 2010 and keep getting the following message:

"ACT! Has detected an ACT7 instance that could not be connected successfully. Either you have entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. The installation cannot continue at this time. Please run the installer again and provide a valid password or make sure that SQL(ACT7) instance is running and then continue installation."

I did find SQL(ACT7) under services and it says it is stopped.  I am not computer savvy enough to know how to get it running again.  Would appreciate any help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: SQL(ACT7) Error

Hello Lac1125,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You have gotten past the hard part of finding the SQL Server (ACT7) service... to start it: right click on the service and select Start.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your response.  I tried that but I got a message "Unable to Start Service.  The operation could not be completed.  Access is denied."  I am using Windows Vista.  Is there a setting I need to change and, if so, how do I do that?  Thank you again!

Platinum Super Contributor

Try disabling the Windows UAC feature, and then attempt to start the service.  Here is an article with instructions for UAC: KB Article 20220

If you are still unable to start the service, and since this is an update (possibly different version of SQL)... if there are no other programs on the computer that use Microsoft SQL Server, the next step would be to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server (all components from the Programs and Features option).  Once uninstalled, rename the 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server' folder (ex: 'Microsoft SQL Server - Old').  Reboot the computer and attempt the installation.  The ACT! installation will include the SQL installation.  And this install would also be with UAC disabled.

Greg Martin
Sage