Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL 2008 database will not attach

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL 2008 database will not attach

I was unable to backup (or Save As) an ACT2010 database running SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, because the laptop user name has an apostrophe. This problem is apparently known to ACT.

The workaround suggested was to detach the database, copy the files and move them to the root directory (not under the username with the apostrophe) and reattach the ADF file.

Before I detached the file in ACTdiag, I ran maintenance in ACT and ACTdiag, no problems, but I could not back it up, for the reasons above.

I followed the instructions to reattach, and have even tied it on another computer running ACT.

What I get is "database not recognized as SQL 2005 or 2008" or a similar message tht the SQL version could not be identified. Other ACT files run, so I know that SQL ACT7 instance is is installed and working.

I need the file.

The build version of SQL is 10.50.1600.1

The other computer I tried iton has a later version, 64 bit 10.50.2500.0

HELP please.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author midcapacb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL 2008 database will not attach

Hello micapacb,
Try attaching the database using the latest version of ACTDiag. This can be found in the File Attachments section of the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2760...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author midcapacb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello micapacb,
Try attaching the database using the latest version of ACTDiag. This can be found in the File Attachments section of the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2760...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

It worked. Thanks. Solution was using the the current ACTdiag version, not the old 2009 version. I still cannot backup the database because of an apostrophe in the user name. Need a solution. Looking to microsoft for a way to rename the user when it is the administrator of Windows 7.