Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SOP manual for using ACT

SOP manual for using ACT

One of my first tasks at my new job is to write SOPs for using Act.  Does anyone have something already done that they could share with me or have any suggestions for this challenge?  Thanks in advance!

Bronze Contributor

Re: SOP manual for using ACT

Because of the flexibility of ACT, it is hard to a publish manual for Standard Operating Procedures other than what is in the help section.  Your question says you are interested in the procedures on using ACT within your specific company.  If you are at the beginning, let me suggest this approact:  Ask the users and ask the managers.  What does each hope to get out of the product.

I've done this in the past with tremendous success by giving each person 3X5 cards asking them to write down a list of "I wish I could do this with CRM" as they think of it - regardless of how ridiculous it may sound.  With management buy-in on this project, you will then see how the product needs to be defined for each category.  Make sure you include computer comfortable users as well as computer challenged users. 

Run this for 2 weeks to a month.

You will see that the SOP will write itself.

p.s. - Emphasize no retrictions in what a user would like to see - not everythng can be done, but I bet the users will be surprised that many of their wants are already included. 

Good luck, and if you follow this approach, we would all appreciate hearing from you on how it worked out with your specific company.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

jnpurdy wrote:

Ask the users and ask the managers.  

very similar to what John said (perhaps upscaled tho), you could build a USM (User Story Map) - I've found this approach useful.

Ben.

Thank you for your response, John.  I am developing SOPs for a small company with only 3 or 4 users.  The company has had ACT for a couple of years, but has not used it AT ALL.  Part of my job is going to be to become an expert on ACT and set up and determine how all the other users should be using the program to help them with their business.  I am extremely nervous since I am a new user to ACT.  Any suggestions and advice you have is greatly appreciated!

Mani Schmitz

Ben, can you elaborate on USM and how you would go about starting this project?  I am interested in as much guidance and information as you can give.  Thank you!

Mani Schmitz

Bronze Super Contributor

I'd start with this book: User Story Mapping by Jeff Patton.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033851.do

It's blurb:

User story mapping is a valuable tool for software development, once you understand why and how to use it. This insightful book examines how this often misunderstood technique can help your team stay focused on users and their needs without getting lost in the enthusiasm for individual product features.

Author Jeff Patton shows you how changeable story maps enable your team to hold better conversations about the project throughout the development process. Your team will learn to come away with a shared understanding of what you’re attempting to build and why.

• Get a high-level view of story mapping, with an exercise to learn key concepts quickly
  • Understand how stories really work, and how they come to life in Agile and Lean projects
  • Dive into a story’s lifecycle, starting with opportunities and moving deeper into discovery
  • Prepare your stories, pay attention while they’re built, and learn from those you convert to working software

Now, while you're specifically looking to produce a user manual for software you have, the same methodology can be used. That book will give you a starting point to work from.