Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SOOO Frustrated - name fields grayed out

SOOO Frustrated - name fields grayed out

Hi...I have managed to take four months to completely mess up the main database at work. Boss and I are stressed beyond belief - I thought I could just charge in and do the database. Why NO, I didn't run the Demo...why do you ask? *sigh* I ran some online tutorials... ACT! 2008 by the way ANYway, am ready to regroup and carry on...the manual is good but the Dummies book by ACT!'s Karen Fredericks was more on my level. I have figured out a few things on my own. But the database I did an RDB of here at home has some problems at the main office: 1. I can do only certain things as it's NOT the master database and I can't find the computer number to make it so.(This is not crucial as I will be creating a whole new one from CSV, but would be nice to know) 2. Also - on this import...and some of the other DBs - all the Name fields are greyed out and will NOT be typed in, thank you. When I go to insert a New Contact, the Detail comes up with the same fields greyed out. Going to the list and clicking Edit works...sometimes...but this greying out thing is weird. I can't figure out how to make them 'typeable'. THANK YOU. Have been up late two nights - now three - on my own dime just trying to get the one database DONE. Lots of crying and frustration...I guess that's part of the learning curve(thinking of a boomerang!)? THANK YOU again! I hope someone is up this time of night and can answer...as I go back to the Office of Doom tomorrow. Arlene
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SOOO Frustrated - name fields grayed out

Tthe manual is good but the Dummies book by ACT!'s Karen Fredericks was more on my level.

Karen is great, and Roy (who works for her) is an awesome resourse for ACT! reporting.

1. I can do only certain things as it's NOT the master database and I can't find the computer number to make it so.(This is not crucial as I will be creating a whole new one from CSV, but would be nice to know)

Not sure what you mean by "computer number". But if you're creating a new database, I guess this isn't important

2. Also - on this import...and some of the other DBs - all the Name fields are greyed out and will NOT be typed in, thank you. When I go to insert a New Contact, the Detail comes up with the same fields greyed out. Going to the list and clicking Edit works...sometimes...but this greying out thing is weird. I can't figure out how to make them 'typeable'.

Are you sure you're not a browse user?

What you might do is get an ACT! Certified Consultant (like Karen for example) to get you started... this would save a LOT of time and help you avoid those common new-user issues. You can see the list of ACCs at www.act.com/acc

BTW: it's not that late at night... only 6:30pm here :-)