Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SLOW LOOKUP still a problem

Copper Contributor

Re: SLOW LOOKUP still a problem

Master:

I got a chuckle out of people's reply to your posts, like "Thank you, Master."

Thank you for the informative post. I'll check into whether an SSD can be run by my bus (HP nc6400). Might be a grand solution for the least initial expense. Might buy me some time to shop (and save $$) for the next laptop upgrade.

I won't be burning much more emotion on this as I am a man of action and I will get this behind me. But I feel boxed in to spend more money, when funds are already limited, to upgrade stuff when the ACT! system requirements listing for ACT! 2010 Standard indicated that my system would run it. Now I find that is not the case. My bad for not spending more time reading more forums and blogs, which likely would have resulted in me NOT purchasing ACT!. At minimum, they should up the RAM and hard drive speed requirement and disclose it openly and in plain sight.

As with any other sales person, my business depends on reliable and fast access to contacts, opportunities, etc. I don't get paid to research system requirements for software/hardware, but when it doesn't work right, I can't afford NOT to.

Barry E. LaDuke
LaDuke Radiant Sales
Portland, OR 97222

http://www.LaDukeRadiantSales.com
Copper Contributor

Re: SLOW LOOKUP still a problem

[ Edited ]

You were right. Tech support came in and found that even after all the tweaking, unloading stuff from boot-up, adjusting video acceleration, etc., that the 1Gb of RAM was nearly maxed out with only three programs running: ACT! 2010 Standard, Outlook 2003, and Firefox. That's it! rtvscan.exe was also active, which was, at the time, eating up a lot of RAM. Since the swap file was being used a bunch as a result of the lack of RAM, the slow hard drive also played a factor.

I checked out your link and it was incredibly valuable. As I researched my options that direction (swapping a new hard drive into the dinosaur), I saw a trend toward getting to time/money expenses too great to put into a 5 year-old, tired HP-Compaq. I decided to bite the bullet and get a new machine. Perhaps I'll be able to squeeze another 5-6 years out of a new machine vs. the limited time I'd get out of this old beast.

The escalation that was initiated by the moderator on this thread resulted in them calling me this morning, which revealed the memory problem. Wow! What software or hardware company does that anymore? I didn't have to call in, navigate endless menus, or wait on hold forever. That says something.

The last problem was simply that Sage misrepresented the minimum requirements needed for the program to function. It just doesn't work unless you have the system for it. My counsel for anyone looking to buy ACT!: Get as much RAM as you can afford, and heed the advise of many who came before me - get the 7200 RPM hard drive. The program is a memory hog and suffers greatly if you have other stuff competing for RAM.

I'd like to hear from anyone who is using the solid state drives with ACT!. That technology promises to dramatically improve the performance of any program. I'm going to let others be the guinea pigs for a while and stick with the 7200 RPM disk-based drive.

The end of my story: Tech support Level II diagnosed my problem accurately and quickly. The only recommendation to continue with ACT! is to upgrade the hardware. Option 2 is go with some other program or online service like Salesforce.

I was forwarded to customer service to discuss my discontent with being mislead by the system requirement claims by Sage. My system qualified according to their specs. Sorry, but as we've discovered, my system WON'T run Act! without incredible frustration.

Another "Wow!" moment: Within a minute or so, Katrina offered a full refund. A few minutes later, after sending her a copy of my retail receipt, my RMA number was in her reply.

So, given the powerful features of the program and the incredible innitiative of the tech support and customer service, I'm going to bite once more. Dell Computers had a laptop offering that would run ACT! well, and had ACT! included at a steep discount from what I paid retail (subsidized, I'm sure, by Dell). By next week, I expect to be screaming through my contact records. I'll try to remember to provide an update here.

The features and power of ACT! has never been called into question. It has everything I wanted for a small business CRM. And I'm sure I was overdue for a new machine, but timing was horrible. I would have probably come to the same conclusion by reading the system requirements rather than experiencing the frustration of having my expectations set too high for the performance of the product.

Sage: Please revise your system requirements to double or triple what you have listed now for RAM and openly require SSD or 7200 RPM hard drives. Set your customers' expectations to where they should be, continue your stellar tech support, and you could easily hold your market share against the cloud computing alternatives. You still have me so long as the hardware fix doesn't disappoint.

Message Edited by BarryLaDuke on 04-29-2010 04:57 PM
Barry E. LaDuke
LaDuke Radiant Sales
Portland, OR 97222

http://www.LaDukeRadiantSales.com