Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SBS 2011 and ACT! 2011

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

SBS 2011 and ACT! 2011

Will ACT! 2011 Pro run fine on SBS 2011?

There seem to be  a few threads on here that speak about Firewall isues but they're inconclusive.  Is anyone actually doing it successfully and if so were there any issues?

Thanks guys

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kim_Kendall
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: SBS 2011 and ACT! 2011

I've installed Sage ACT! Premium on SBS 2011. It works fine, BUT
you do have to make changes to the Firewall.

http://tinyurl.com/4lc78g

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

I don't think I have tried it yet, although I may have.

SBS 2011 is basically Windows Server 2008 R2 with other stuff layered on top.

It appears that Sage has not specifically added 2008 R2 to the list of compatible servers, not sure if that is an oversight or lack of specifics or what...

In any case, it should work.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Kim_Kendall
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

I've installed Sage ACT! Premium on SBS 2011. It works fine, BUT
you do have to make changes to the Firewall.

http://tinyurl.com/4lc78g
Copper Contributor

Fantastic! Great to hear from someone who's done it and using it. Thanks a million rkumar - and for the link.

Can you explain how you got it to work on SBS 11? I installed and the 32-bit application pool changes that ACT made,completely broke Exchange and Sharepoint on SBS11 as they can only work in64-bit mode
Bronze Super Contributor

This sounds like you are working with ACT! for Web on the SBS box...

This thread was specifically about ACT! Pro 2011, which is a different scenario as the "normal" versions of ACT! do not touch the Microsoft Internet Information Server web server.

I have given up on attempting to get ACT! for web to work reliably on an SBS box, especially since Sage has dropped support.

Here are several KB articles that were in the support site back in the second half of 2010.  Assuming they are still there, here are the Answer IDs of the articles that I collected when working on this: 26005, 22988, 26720, 21731, 14868

There are likely other KB articles related that you might need.

After much work using this information and other, I was able to get ACT! for Web to run on a SBS 2008 box.  Unfortunately, the next time Windows Updates were run, it changed settings, and broke ACT!.  I gave up at that point as I came to conclusion that it would be an ongoing support nightmare unless you are really familiar with IIS and Sharepoint and the rest of it.

You might give serious consideration to installing your ACT! for web on either it's own "plain" Windows Server box or in a virtual machine running Windows server.