Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Running ACT! on a Mac with Parallels

Nickel Contributor

Running ACT! on a Mac with Parallels

Anyone out there running ACT! 12 on a Mac with Parallels? If yes, which version of Windows? XP?

Any issues? Did the ACT app transfer over with the cable provided?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Re: Running ACT! on a Mac with Parallels

[ Edited ]

Using Windows 7 Home.   Downloaded ACT 2011.    All works, but no email or sync with Outlook.   Doesn't want to play nice with Outlook 2010.   

Nickel Contributor

If you are running a true "virtual machine as Windows on a Mac with Parralles or VM Fusion are you not using the Windows version of Outlook "inside" the virtual machine and therefore it would interface with ACT just like on a PC?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes, it does work fine, and as you described "just like on a PC".  The other message referenced Outlook 2010, which has issues working with ACT! in any environment...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Nickel Contributor

I know that ACT requires Microsoft SQL Server and .NET Framework.  Am I correct in saying that a virtual machine installation of XP Pro on a Mac with either Parralles or VM Fusion will contain those two requirements? I guess I'm stil a little skeptical of a "complete" virtual machine.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I've done quite a few ACT! installations on Parallels. In each case, the user has already taken care of the Windows "setup", and all I've had to do is setup ACT! ACT! will install SQL Server, so don't worry about that part when setting up Windows. Regarding .NET, I've never had to take extra steps yet to update that - either their Windows Update has taken care of it, or the version of .NET was compatible with the version of ACT!

I'm sure others have different experience, but it's worked fine for me...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

I'm having some problems that perhaps someone else has encountered and might know of a solution. I've noted at least three problems that don't seem to happen except if running ACT!2010 under the new Parallels 6 (i.e., these things don't happen when I'm running ACT! using Bootcamp to make the Mac hardware run as if it were a Windows machine):

1) When trying to print, the designated printer is listed as "offline" even though I've done nothing to take it offline (and I can't seem to find a way to put it back "online"...). Or,

2) When trying to print, the print job looks fine initially, but when I click  to send the job, it, in a sense, disappears -- it doesn't print, and there's no evidence of it in the print cue. Strangely enough, when I close Parallels, and go into Bootcamp, the "missing" print jobs start printing spontaneously, without my doing anything to "restart" the jobs or impacting the printer in any way.

3) Yesterday, when I tried to switch over from ACT! to Apple Mail to view my E-mails, the inbox  had a yellow triangle next to it and displayed the error (I'm paraphrasing here...), "Can't access Port 110 ... unable to process E-mails." Never saw this before while running Bootcamp.

This is all very frustrating. The Apple Store setup Parallels to use the Bootcamp partition so that I wouldn't have to load all of my Windows programs twice (once when setting up Bootcamp, and once for Parallels). Has anyone setup Bootcamp, loaded your Windows programs, setup Parallels to create a virtual Windows machine using the Bootcamp partition, and had it run correctly? Any advice?

I'm going to try printing from Quicken Home & Business 2010 to see if I see any similar behavior, making this a more widespread Parallels problem. I may try reinstalling Parallels and not use the Bootcamp partition. I also see myself spending several hours (if I'm lucky) on the Parallels tech support line...

Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

This all seems like too much of a hassle. I'm going to hope and pray Sage will come out with a Mac version of ACT!

I think I read somewhere there are 2 million ACT users. 10% of the computing world is Mac. That would make a market of 200,000 potential Mac / ACT customers.

Copper Contributor

Just tested...I can't print from Quicken either while using Parallels. Perhaps there is a Parallels setting that is incorrect, but the problem on my system seems to cut across all of my Windows applications, not just ACT!2010.

I have Act installed on a MAC with Parallels and it works like a champ. I cannot figure out how to Sync with my PC dabase however.  If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.