Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Roy where are you? ACT!2010 std My CUSTOM REPORTs are now missing fields - what happend

Nickel Elite Contributor

Roy where are you? ACT!2010 std My CUSTOM REPORTs are now missing fields - what happend

[ Edited ]

Basicly lets just say I upgraded from ACT 2008 to 2010 std. My mistake.

Now, Currently having problems with my custom reports missing their fields when I try to edit the report templates.

Get two error message when I go in to edit template

1st error:  the group Section 1 based on the group by field (CO:jobnbr) could not be verified in the database. This group will not fucntion as expected when run.  so I click ok and get 2nd error msg;

2nd err msg;  the template you are opening contains one or more fields which may have been deleted, or which you do not have access to.  When I then click on my fields, most all get highlited and seem to be missing. the REPORTS do run but I can not modify them now.

I suspect there is a file access problem due to Sage attempting to assist me with successfull install act12010.

they made a lot lot lot of security changes on my pc and I have had several file access problems, calling them back to give me back access to my own computer. see below

After 2+ weeks Sage and their team of rocket scientist computer engineers have yet to show me how to successfully install ACT! 2010 on a factory dell desktop pc. ACTually, Sage's engineers have only been working with me for approx 6 days, so I dont wish to exagurate my frustration.. They attempted to install onto my Admin user account to see if that would work and as it did, they assumed that my regular user account would have no probs accessing things accross user accounts. they were wrong I am a little but not happy. Waiting on them to call me back again now today.  they made the mess and I expect them to fixy the mess. Today.

so is this a file permission access prob?  how hosed are my custom reports and should I just go rebuild 2 dozen custom reports from scratch? This recent 2010 fiasco makes it difficult for me to support ACT!

would have been faster and less stressful to just go buy a new computer and start everything from scratch. So far, I cant suggest anyone ever try to upgrade from act 2008 to act2010.  I'm a 30+ year fortune 100 techno guy myown self.

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Roy where are you? ACT!2010 std My CUSTOM REPORTs are now missing fields - what happend

The report problem has nothing to do with the upgrade from ACT! 2008 to ACT! 2010. I have custom reports that were created as far back as ACT! 2005 and they have worked fine with every version since. Any problems are in your data base. In general the ACT! reports are specific to a database for several reasons, the main one being how the ACT! database works. MSSQL fixed size tables as to number and size of fields. When that size is reached, it creates a 'spillover' table with a unique ID and a link to the table it's an extension to. Two databases that were created separately with the same fields where a spillover table was required can't interchange custom reports because of different references (unique ID and field name) will be different.. Assuming something like that happened to cause problems with your reports, it might be possible to edit the XML code and fix the reports. My suggestion is that once the other problems with your system are resolved to open the problem reports for editing, delete the problem fields and reinsert them. The only problem I see is that sometimes the fields can't be selected for deleting and the only way to delte the field is by directly editing the XML code.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Roy where are you? ACT!2010 std My CUSTOM REPORTs are now missing fields - what happend

Thanks Roy, u da report man..

I just had some more of Sages Top Rocket Scientist take a look at it and they were as surprised as me to see such a thing. Could find no common factor with the problemed reports, some fields were my custom fields and some were act fields, had some wierd probs. So I will rebuild all my Fill Staff 2010 For Recruiters Custom Reports from scratch rather than rebulding onto something that somehow got corrupted. Many fields affected in some reports. Fresh New Reports for FS2010... The Sage ACT! reports appear to be ok.

Thanks for the reply.. Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html