Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rollover today's uncompleted activities to the same time tomorrow

Copper Contributor

Rollover today's uncompleted activities to the same time tomorrow

When activities rollover to the next day, the edit date changes to that day.  This makes it impossible to search for and isolate only those contacts which have truly been edited (e.g. a field has been updates, or a history or note record has been recorded).

Is there a workaround for this?

Version of Act!: 18.2

Database is on my local machine (private database)
Operating system is Windows 10

Administrator

Re: Rollover today's uncompleted activities to the same time tomorrow

Hi Craig,

This is intentional behaviour as each rollover is a change to the contact record, which will then be reflected in the edit date.
Performing a lookup on Contact Activity without History selected may help you work around this.
Copper Contributor

Hi. Thank you or your reply.

You state that "This is intentional behaviour as each rollover is a change to the contact record."  I assume that.  What's unclear to me is why that is intentional behavior? Why would this be designed into the product?  The record has not been edited by the user; it's been "edited" by the system.  In my opinion, if this was designed into the product and can be removed it should be, as it not only serves no useful purpose, it is counterproductive.

That said, it's unclear to me how to implement your workaround. How does one "perform a lookup on Contact Activity?" And even if one does, since the rollover each morning is binary (yes, rollover or "cancel", don't), are you suggesting to cancel and leave the activities in the past?  

Craig

Administrator

Hi Craig,

The Edit Date field on a contact will update when an activity scheduled with the contact is rolled over, because an action has been taken on the activity to reschedule it for today. That action is performed by the logged in user, not the system. Any change to an activity scheduled with the contact will cause the edit date field to update, regardless of who changed it. This comes in handy when tracking down who did what if any unintentional changes are made.

For your scenario, if you click on Lookup > Contact Activity from the menu bar, then you can customise this lookup to return a list of Contacts that have had activities created since a chosen date. This lookup method compares the history create date instead of the edit date. Activities will still use the edit date.

Copper Contributor

Gary,

We will have to agree to disagree on who/what "acts" to rollover an activity.

IMHO, users who select "Automatically rollover (activities) to today" aren't themselves "taking an action on the activity." They're instructing ACT! to do so.  My recommendation would be to exclude automatic rollovers of activities from the "actions" that cause the edit date to be updated.  This would still allow one to track down who did what if any unintentional changes are made.

In any event, your suggestion was a good one and one I hadn't thought about.  I think I'll be able to use it to accomplish what I need.  So I thank you for that.

Craig