Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rock and a Hard Place after Server Crash

Rock and a Hard Place after Server Crash

We had a server crash.  The server had our ACT! database on it.  I have an ACT! created backup file (with a ".zip" extension) that I am attempting to restore from.  When I try to restore the file directly from the server, it tells me I must restore the file from the machine I used for the backup.  When I attempt to restore the file from the machine that made the backup, it tells me it cannot restore to a network drive (I've tried it mapped and UNC).  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Rock and a Hard Place after Server Crash

You need to do a Restore As on the new machine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply.  Actually I did try the Restore As option multiple times on both machines.  When I used Restore As from the workstation computer (as opposed to directly from the server) is when I got the message about not being able to restore to a network drive.

Restore or restore as goes to a local drive. You can't run a restore or restore as from a workstation to the server drive. You must do that from the ACT! program installed on the server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, and then when I do Restore As from the copy of ACT! installed on the server, ACT! stops with the message that says I must "restore this file from the computer that made the backup".

I've never seen that message when doing a Restore As. That would be what I would expect with a restore. I'm suspecting a corrupted backup file or a corrupted install of ACT! on the server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129