Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Right click on Notes creating an appointment

Nickel Contributor

Right click on Notes creating an appointment

It looks like I am the king of small things.  I do believe small things and attention to detail SHOULD make this software great.  Attention to small things tells me about what a company really cares about.  My grade for ACT! is either Incomplete or a failing grade.

Here's a perfect example.  I have a task I have in mind,  but I am not too sure I want to make it a task yet.  I want to park it in the notes.  Where else can one put it?  I have an idea that it will be a task sometime in the future, but no too sure when.  I put it in the notes,  and looka here!  No right click context menu to turn it into a task.  Why can't I right click that note and "poof" choose "convert to a task" or something like that?  Why can't ACT! do that?  Are you kidding me?

See attention to detail will hurt this company in the long run.  You could be making a lot more money Sage if you paid attention to the details. Cheap Cheap Cheap.  Is that a bird I hear?

What do I know anyway?

-P
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Right click on Notes creating an appointment

patgenn123 wrote:
It looks like I am the king of small things.  I do believe small things and attention to detail SHOULD make this software great.  Attention to small things tells me about what a company really cares about.  My grade for ACT! is either Incomplete or a failing grade.

Here's a perfect example.  I have a task I have in mind,  but I am not too sure I want to make it a task yet.  I want to park it in the notes.  Where else can one put it?  I have an idea that it will be a task sometime in the future, but no too sure when.  I put it in the notes,  and looka here!  No right click context menu to turn it into a task.  Why can't I right click that note and "poof" choose "convert to a task" or something like that?  Why can't ACT! do that?  Are you kidding me?

See attention to detail will hurt this company in the long run.  You could be making a lot more money Sage if you paid attention to the details. Cheap Cheap Cheap.  Is that a bird I hear?

What do I know anyway?

-P

In 14 years of working with the ACT! program, first in tech support and later as an ACC, that is the first time I've seen a request for converting a note into an activity. However, that said, my suggestion to you would be to make a feature request through the ACT! website. If enough interest is shown in that kind of feature, it would be made to a future version. I personally would add a tentative future activity with that contact. Because it would be on the contacts activity tab, there would be less likelihood of it getting lost in the Notes.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor

Roy,  Thanks for the reply.  However, is it true that History and Notes were separated into separate tabs since the disaster ACT! 2005?.

I can see how it might not have been thought of at that time, but I think the task list gets cluttered too much and not effective even though the dropdown can filter for this week, this month, today, etc.  Tasks are for the tasks at hand, IMO.

If it's a possible future task/appointment,  why call it a task?  It clutters the mind if it's a task when it's really not.  Give me an idea of what you use the notes tab for and I'll tell you that 90% of what you put in the notes tab COULD be converted to a task/appointment in the future. 

When I have an idea about something,  I put in on a sticky, tear a small corner of a piece of paper, write it in a small notebook.  Before I commit to do anything with that "idea",  I mull it around in my head and see if it's worth it.  If I don't think it's a good idea later on, I pitch it.  If there's more I could add to it and grow with the idea,  it's still an idea. That, my friend, is a note not a task.  It COULD be a task later, but I am not ready to commit it yet.  Tasks are "actions" to ACT on. No pun intended.

In my mind,  it's not a task.  How could it be?  Logic does not permit me to think that way.

-P

Nickel Elite Contributor

With any program, you can choose to fight the way it is built or you can adapt to it. With all due respect, you appear to choose to fight the way ACT! is built. You have two valid options: make a feature request for the ACT! program or find a program that is built more the way you want to use it.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can do it from a history... open a previous meeting, call, to-do, etc and click Follow-up
Platinum Elite Contributor

patgenn123 wrote:
Roy,  Thanks for the reply.  However, is it true that History and Notes were separated into separate tabs since the disaster ACT! 2005?.

Actually it was one of the most requested features in the ACT! 5/6 time-frame