Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reusing Customized Contact Layouts

Reusing Customized Contact Layouts

I have customized a contact layout that I would like to use for several seperate databases, but can't figure out how to access the layout I created.  When I create a new database it only has the default layout settings.  I'm sure this is easy, but I can't figure it out and the software isn't user friendly.  Thanks

Dave

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Reusing Customized Contact Layouts

I think you just need to copy the new .cly file from one database location to the other.

The layout should be in <ACT Data/Databases/[dbname]-database files/Layouts>

If there are schema changes reflected in the layout, then they would have to be implemented as well.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Robert,

Thank you for the quick feedback, although I'm not sure how to copy a .cly.  Here's where I am:

1. I've created a new database and want to convert the default layout to one of the layouts I created and expect to use for several databases.  I still can't figure out how to copy the .cly file into this new database. 

2. I went to the existing database with my custom layout and created an "empty layout" in a new database.  However this new database still doesn't open with all the fields I had created in the original database. 

I'm struggling here....thanks again for your help.

Dave

Copper Elite Contributor

The location mentioned in my previous message is where you will find the layouts (.cly files for Contact layouts).

Each database has its own dbname-database files directory (under Databases).  That is where you will find the Layout directory.

You want to copy your new layout from the existing database layouts directory into the new one(s).

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP