Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Returning to Act from Outlook

Returning to Act from Outlook

After years of misery with Outlook, I may be ready for the brain damage involved it returning to Act. Let me explain how I got here - I was an Act loyalist from Act 1.0 in 1994 (?) until a several years ago when the first Sequel Server version was released - the product was a complete disaster for my company - it took literaly 10 minutes to search a single contact. I felt like i was in hell and that Microsoft had finally one on this product too - so i switched -

okay - now - here i am and Outlook does not do what i want or need, but I have 8 people using it and any change can cause down-time in this brutal business environment - so, now the question:

What is the best way to transition? Can i keep Outlook running and share a database? I also have my own blackberry server; how is that effected? many many more questions, but I would assume that I am not the only one who has done this - 

I have my old act database, it is running on a Act Sage for RE 10.0 - I am not importing all contacts, tasks and appointments; 

what is the best way to keep the databases synced going forward - 

I figured that many of thes things must have been figured out since i have been gone.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Returning to Act from Outlook

Welcome back.  The look up problems were finally fixed with the update to the 2010 versiion. 

I think most of your questions have been answered at one time or another, just do a search on key words.

Regarding getting information into ACT, that should be pretty easy.  Just export to a CSV file and then import from that file.  As with almost all other CRM or mail programs, getting the notes and history can be a little more difficult.  I'm sure many of the technicians will be able to give you good advice.

As far as synching the data, ACT now supports Outlook directly, and I use a program called ACT!EmailConnect Professional from CRM-Service.  This add in give great flexibility for eMail merge and controlling which eMails are saved to the ACT! program. 

BTW, ACT! was started in 1987 by Pat Sullivan.

While it is not free, I would strongly suggest that you engage an ACT! Certified consultant who can help you move your database into ACT. 

I tend to respond to many of the questions that deal with how to use the program when I see questions surrounding challenges I have had an overcome. 

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Can you refer a tech in NYC? I am located midtown (57th st).

I use the notes area in Outlook for documents - for example I create a contact for a property (rather than a person) and I put marketing fliers (pdf) and other documents regarding the property that i would like to have handy; can those be imported as well?

Bronze Contributor

Personally, I don't have any personal experience with any consultant in NYC, but I suspect that several of the board members know someone they would like to select.  Additionally, you can find a consultant on the ACT main website.

Depending what you need, though, I wouldn't be hung up on having a local consultant vs. one over the Internet.  Take the time to read some of the replies from consultants who support this board.  I bet you will find one that can help.

I used to do consulting up to about ACT Ver 2 or 3, but the technology has progressed a lot faster than I was able to keep up with it. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 1.0 for Windows was 1991 - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/history-of-act.html

You should go with ACT! 2009 or (better) 2010 - it has a much better integration with Outlook. You can import the contacts from Outlook, then use the ACT! database as your address book for Outlook.

To import from Outlook, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1390... and maybe this one:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1445...

For you Blackberry users, the best option is usually Handheld Contact

To find a local ACT! Consultant, see www.act.com/acc - in NY, I know at least half of them personally and they do good work. To pick one for you, maybe see:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/how-to-pick-right-crm-implementation.html

Bronze Elite Contributor

KennyC,

For an up to date list of ACT! Consultants I suggest you would be well advised to refer just to the official list found at Sage List of Current ACCs 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

Reading the links now. Appreciate the response