Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restricted Users

Copper Contributor

Restricted Users

Hello,

I have a few restricted users for the main reason we don't want them to be able to export the database in any manner. The problem is even restricted users can still run reports that allows them to dump contacts to files. I can remove the reports option from the toolbar but that's global for all user types it appears! So even my admins won't be able to run reports unless one of them re-adds that option back. How can I keep restricted users from running reports while still allowing access to reports for my admins? Or is there a better way to go about restricting these users in general?

Thank you,

Ed

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Restricted Users

There is no practical technological solution to stop even mildly determined users to access data and attempts at doing so likely result in frustrated users and reduced productivity. Trust goes a long way if mutual.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow... I was going to respond further to this but I'm not here to debate security practices. The fact is I don't think this is an unreasonable request -  we have other database applications that have this capability and no one is frustrated nor losing any productivity at all. And it's still more secure at the same time.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Ed

[Edit: Content removed. Please post courteously to those taking the time to help you]

Bronze Elite Contributor

There are databases for all sorts of reasons, however contact management or CRM is focused on collabarative sharing of information and ease of access. Yes, the Premium versions of ACT! allow for access control over Contacts, Companies, Groups etc but I would hesitate to call that security. Of course there are the 5 levels of user provided for but what we find is that the vast majority of sites we work with don't employ a user status that are more restricted than Standard user. 

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

I do appreciate your responses and that you're trying to help, but I'm not looking to define what databases, security or CRM's do, or what best practices are involved in these applications - I just want to know if what I asked is even possible. I'm new to this version of ACT! and came here looking to see if any other users of ACT! had any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

Bronze Elite Contributor

Ed,

No offence taken and appreciating that you are new to the community, this question of locking down data is often asked however there is no ultimate solution. When working with clients I generally ask them if their people can do a screen dump (Alt + PrtScr) if yes then pretty much, given time people can get what data they want. So that isn't an ACT! issue, it's just how it is in aWindows environment. Referring to your earlier comment, if you are running with multiple Admin users you might take a look at the need for needing more than one Admin user.  

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Just came back to say I was able to sort of accomplish this by using restricted users, which disallows the export function, and a plugin that disables printing - I just use that plugin for those restricted users only, and it doesn't affect any other users.

Thanks,

Ed