Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring from backup -- sorta

Restoring from backup -- sorta

Hello,

My father's Windows installation needed to be restored from backup -- complete HD wipe and reinstall of the image.  He had a saved copy of the ACT! database files (just copied over the directory to the backup server), but not an official ACT! backup.

Should I just be able to drop the backed-up folder onto the new installation in the same place it was before?  

I'm getting errors on opening the DB files stating that the DB cannot be found on the network, etc etc, which I'm assuming means that ACT is looking for the other parts of the DB in a different place than they are, or that the more current files aren't being recognized as part of the same DB.

The data in the backed up ACT! files is good.  Just need to get up and running again.  

Thanks,

Chris

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring from backup -- sorta

Unless you stopped the SQL server or disconnected the database from the SQL server with ACTDIAG  beforebefore copying the files, you won't have the actual database files, only the supporting files. The two database files have the extension ADF and ALF.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring from backup -- sorta

If you have the .adf delte the pad file, which is the .pad, then in ACT! go to file open hit the dropdown to look for .adf instead of .pad and try opening that. You need to make sure that the .alf is there as well, this should attach the ACT! instance, hopefully the data is still there.
Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005