Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring from a RETROSPECT BACK UP

Restoring from a RETROSPECT BACK UP

Although I have a paid support plan, I'm trying to resolve this myself as it isn't "really" an ACT 2008 problem.

Here goes...  My computer crashed last week (motherboard) so I purchased a new system.  I had everything backed up using software called RETROSPECT which backs up my complete system every night to a stand alone hard drive.

When I try to "open" my main database, after a long pause, I receive an error message "The database xxx could not be accessed. check your network connection and make sure it's available... etc".

However, this database is not, and never has been used on a network or a server of any type.  It has always resided on my notebook, and does at present.  I have turned off all security and firewalls, but nothing seems to help.

For starters, has anyone restored a database from a system back up rather than a stand alone ACT back up.

Yes, for the record, I shall henceforth start doing ACT exclusive back ups using the provided software, and a lesson learned, however, my ENTIRE BUSINESS is dependent on this database and I have literally thousands of documents scanned and attached etc...  it is CRITICAL that I get this up and running as quickly as possible.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Am I not correct that selecting the database found in ACT FOR WINDOWS 10 should automatically open and be up and running?

Thanks,
Wes
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring from a RETROSPECT BACK UP

That may only be the pad file. Check the folder where the database is located and see if there are files there with the database name and the extension ADF and ALF. Most backup system such as the one you used won't backup the actual ACT! database because the database files are connected to the SQL server which has the files open all the time. If you still have the old system you may be able to remove the hard drive and connect it to another system and retrieve the database files that way.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring from a RETROSPECT BACK UP

First... most backup programs will not correctly backup a SQL database (which ACT! uses) unless you have the SA Pass (which is only available for corporate users). You really should use the backup in ACT! which produces a ZIP file... and this can be then backed up with something else.

For your problem now try deleting the PAD file.
Then, in ACT! - File | Open
Change File Type to ADF and select the database.

If that doesn't work, try all the suggestions listed an this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/yopvty

If still a problem, you might need to submit the database to Database Repair and see if they can recover it