Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring database to new computer after machine failure

Restoring database to new computer after machine failure

Recently the laptop I was using to run ACT 2008 failed.  It was a motherboard failure, not a hard drive failure.  The old drive works properly when I attach it as an outboard device on my new computer,  and I have no problem with files from any other application.  I can see the ACT files, too.  ACT was not running when the failure occurred so there is no reason to believe that the ACT database has been corrupted.

When I attempt to open the database, it begins to verify the database but immediately fails, telling me that "one or more files do not match the primary file of the database."  This happens even if the .PAD file has been renamed or deleted.  One suggestion the message gives is to restore from a backup.  When I try, it tells me that it "Cannot open the backup device [path on the old machine]\Filename, Operating System 2 (The system cannot find the file specified).

I suspect that in both cases the problem is the same -- ACT is looking for files in a location that no longer exists.  I'm not even sure I could just copy files from the old drive to the exact same folder structure on the new drive because I suspect the machine name is embedded too.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring database to new computer after machine failure

Whether ACT! was open of closed, the database was open because the SQL server has it open all the time. Instead of restore, use restore as, the should work with the backup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I should have been more clear.  The Restore As procedure gives me the "Cannot open the backup device..." message.  Simply using Restore get me "The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT! backup."

Was the backup made from the ACT! program? If not, how was it made?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have had the same problem and tried the referenced link but the problem persists.  Any other suggestions? 

I am using restore as.  to recover a backup from an external drive made the day before a power related hard drive crash.  the drive was not connected to anything the day of the crash.  I have recovered all other files from that drive just fine. 

Thank you in advance!

[ Edited ]

Hello dddswim,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Looks like you have posted the same issue in two different places, so we'll use this one to avoid duplication. Some questions:
- What version of ACT! are you using?
- What is the error message you are receiving when trying to open or restore your database?
- Is the file you recovered an ACT backup (.zip) or the ACT! database files (.adf, .alf)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.