Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring database on new computer - ACT 2012 Pro

Restoring database on new computer - ACT 2012 Pro

I have done everything to install our database from a machine with ACT! 2007 (9) to a new computer with ACT 2012 Pro.  I have done a backup and tried restoring, installed 2012 Pro on the old machine and then backup and then restore.  I have tried every user name and password I could think of and without a user name and password.  Nothing works.  I continually get the message saying "Could not authenticate user.  Verify the user name and password and try again".

This should NOT be so hard to move our database.  

HOW CAN I FIND OUT THE USER NAME AND PASSWORD THEY ARE LOOKING FOR?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring database on new computer - ACT 2012 Pro

Hi sharon,

in a single user envoirment, you can open act without act asking for a user unfortunaly you need to enter the username & passwort at least one time...

when you go to old pc, there you will find actdiag.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows

you may want to update (make a backup) act diag, 

when you started actdiag, pls go to Databases, select your database, right mouse, select Database Reports, then select user Logins, and run the report by clicking the OK button, you will then recive a text file that shows the username

Regards

Ingo Lange

actdiaguser.PNG

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

Re: Restoring database on new computer - ACT 2012 Pro

The only way I could get my database to restore to my new computer was to stop SQL Server on the old computer.  Copy the database files to a thumb drive.  Copy the database files to the new computer.  They they would open with the current user name and password. 

Now my problem is that the SQL Server on the new computer will not stay started.  I have to start the SQL Server on the new computer before I open ACT so I can open the database.  How can I correct this?