Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring database in ACT 2012 Pro

Restoring database in ACT 2012 Pro

I had a HP laptop that crashed but was I able to backup the hard drive.  This is not an act backup, just zipped files from the old hard drive.  I have installed ACT on my new computer but haven't figured a way to restore the dtatbase files from the old computer.  I tried just copying it into the database folder under ACT but it did not recognize it.  I have over 3000 contacts in my database so I will be forever greatful if anyone can help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Restoring database in ACT 2012 Pro

Are you able to locate the database files with extensions: ADF, ALF, and 'database files' (folder)? 

A PAD file will be located with them - you will not need it, it is simply a pointer file that points to the location of the ADF file.

If you are able to locate these files, put them in the desired directory and open the database using the ADF file (Open Sage ACT! > Open database > change Files of type to ADF > browse to ADF > open).

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

I have a similar issue as did Mike in OK - I've had a crash on my old laptop, and I've got over 3500 contacts. 

My issue - I've located the ALF, ADF, PAD, and "database files" items - but when I try to copy to a remote or thumb drive, I get a message to the effect:

"Program in use.  Must close program before files can be copied".

Issue is - program is not in use.  I've tried rebooting the system, and doing nothing but copying and pasting these files to the external drive - but no luck.

Any suggestions for me?  Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Gregg

San Diego, CA.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! program doesn't "open" the database, it only connects to the database. The SQL server opens the database at start up. You can't copy the database files unless you stop the SQL server.

By the way, why don't you use the backup in the ACT! program to move the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy, 

Thank you for your time to reply and assist.  I actually did use the backup function in ACT! to create the ZIP file backup.  However, it seemed not to product the required files after unzipping.  (complete novice here)

I did, however, figure out (using Task Manager) that SQL was running on behalf of ACT!, even when ACT! was closed.  So, I terminated that function, and voila! - I was able to copy the required files, paste them in the proper location, and the ACT! database was able to be opened up in the new installation - no problems.  I'm good to go.

Many thanks again for the assistance.

Cheers,

Gregg

Platinum Super Contributor

Gregg,
We are glad to hear you have resolved your issue! Thank you for the update.
Greg Martin
Sage