Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring database from a bad HDD ACT 2009

Restoring database from a bad HDD ACT 2009

I know 2009 is no longer supported officially, but I'm really just wondering if anyone has had experience with restoring a database that wasn't properly backed up. The HDD went bad on the ACT! PC, and had to be replaced. I was able to recover the base database files but now they just shoot an error saying something about networking/firewall. I've done all the steps detailed in the help guide, but still unable to restore the database.  

If anyone has any info or had a similiar issue resolved, please any help is appreciated. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring database from a bad HDD ACT 2009

[ Edited ]

Hello PuteFix,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community.

What is the exact error message?
Which database files do you have?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the reply. Here is the error message:

The database ... could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

And as far as the files go, I just copied the 'C:\Users\Username\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases' folder over to the new install. In its entirety.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try this:
- Delete the .PAD file for the database (it is no longer valid)
- Open ACT! and go to File > Open Database
- In the open box, change the file type in the lower right to .ADF
- Browse to the location of your database and double-click the .ADF file for your database
- You will get a prompt that database needs to be verified - click OK. This connects the database to SQL Server
- After a minute or two you should get the prompt to login to your database or it will just open

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks a bunch! I ran the fix earlier and it worked great.