Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring an database from a couple of days ago.

Restoring an database from a couple of days ago.

We had a 'oops' while syncing our cardsacan and ACT! file together.  I have 2 backups that run nightly and we have databases saved from before the oops.  When I restore them from either MozyPro online or our office tape backup it updates the file instantly to the newest file.

I believe the problem is that they have the same name and is working like it should to update like it does between the terminals.  How can I get around having it do that?  Do I need to delete the ALF and Log file completely before I try to download the restored file?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring an database from a couple of days ago.

If you didn't stop the SQL services before the backup, most normal backup programs wouldn't properly backup the ACT! database.

Do you have a copy backed up with the ACT! Backup?

It takes a complete backup of all files every day.  The tapes are complete copy of the server.  Mozy does a daily copy of the file as it is at the end of the day.  I had an IT guy do it once, he had trouble with it, but got it done.  It involved remaning the PAD file and changing where all of the computers pointed.  I called him and he did not recall how he did it. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Backup the database first with ACT! - File | Backup

You could try stopping SQL first by typing this into a CMD prompt
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7

Then copy over the files from the tape or Mozy backup and

NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7

Delete the PAD file, open ACT! and

File | Open - change file type to ADF and open the file.

This will check the database and create a new PAD